Lamb

paydabill

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Does anyone have any good recipes for Lamb. Inviting a cusomter over and he eats alot of lamb so I thought I would give it a try. Also doing a brisket for soem home flavor.

Thanks in advance.

I also used that version The Kapn posted, it is very tasty, I used allot of mint from the garden. The stuffing did not have much of a flavor I enjoyed but it does a great job of flavoring the meat.

I like lamb a lot, but, I've never tried the smoker I don't think. I don't like mint with lamb much, but, I've done a good marinade type thing and done the lamb on the grill, or on a rotisserie, and had great results.

I like to use the food processor to whip together something like:

2 TBSP rosemary
1-2 TBSP Thyme leaves
6-8 cloves garlic
2-3 whole bay leaves
1 TBSP whole black peppercorns
1 TBSP worcestershire sauce
2-4 TBSP Creole (or dijon if you can't find it) mustard
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

Whip all this up in the food processor till it makes a paste. I've usually butterflied the bone out of the lamb, and rubbed this inside and outside, and it is best if you can do this and let sit at least overnight.

When grilling (and careful, this can do some serious flaming), put in on a grill fairly high heat...let the coals start to get good grey on them. Grill for about 11-12 min per side for rare...a nice black crust forms...just keep lid on...and water bottle for major flames.

I've also tied the roast back up again, and done on a rotisserie over charcoal, but, slower cook times...about an hour I think?

I'd say you could also smoke this too....I've not give it a try, and until I can get my bandera back from storage..I don't really have a way to smoke larger cuts of meat these days.

I'm not sure of the recipe..is off the top of my head, but, something tells me I may have posted this previously...give a search to see what I may have said last time.

cayenne

Does anyone have any good recipes for Lamb. Inviting a cusomter over and he eats alot of lamb so I thought I would give it a try. Also doing a brisket for soem home flavor.

Thanks in advance.

I'm on a beer break from prepping the two loin racks of lamb I'm doing tonight. These will get cracked pepper, Hawaiian salt and a slather of garlic rosemary butter. I'll let them sit 2 hours or so then grill at 375°. One rare and one medium rare.

DSC03052a.jpg

But back to your question.....Common cuts are shoulder, legs, chops and loin racks. Basically your choices are marinated, boned out and stuffed, rubbed and grilled or barbecued (I usually rub and mop barbecued lamb) Can you give us some idea of how or what cut you are interested in?

I marinade a boned leg in yoghurt, mint, cumin, lemon, garlic, etc overnight in the fridge. Scrape off marinade and then cook it on the kettle (with lid covering). Cherry wood works well.

I'll try digging out the recipe tonight.

I usually do french racks(like pictured above), and converted a few lamb haters with this recipe. The marinade is:

bottle italian dressing and 3-4-5 cloves of garlic and a tablespoon or 2 of dried rosemary. Mix them in a food processor or blender(I use a submersion blender) till the garlic is chopped up. Then add about a tablespoon of oregano and half tablespoon of sage and thyme and a light half cup of lemon juice. Blend a gain for a few seconds.

the mix will be a milky white.

marinade for at least and hour, up to 4.

Cook in the smoker at 275, pull at 120 and toss on a grill for a few seconds to finish.

Here is a shot from the grill cam. Or should I call it the lamb cam??

DSC03060a.jpg

Looking darn tasty, 3-I! For leg of lamb, I marinade them in red wine, minced garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, crushed black pepper and rosemary. Marinade a couple hours, add sea salt and pepper then grill to medium/medium rare and slice.

I also have some lavender-sented sea salt which is AMAZING on lamb chops.

I cook the frenched lamb rack, except I cut them apart into single chops.
Marinate them in this for about 3 hrs.:
-
1 cup mediterranean soy sauce (soyvey)
1/4 cup worchestershire sauce
1 tb. hot sauce (not tobasco)
1 tsp liquid smoke

Right before you are ready to grill them , cut a small pocket in each one and stuff with chopped blue cheese.

Grill them on a hot fire for about 2 minutes a side (depending on size) for medium rare.

They are KILLER...............

That does look good. I don't have the patience to clean the bones!!!

Here's my recipe (IMO the second best lamb recipe in the world!!!):

Bone a Leg of Lamb, stab it all over with fork.

Whizz together the following in a blender: 1 cup plain Yogurt, Grated zest of and juice of 2 Lemons, Handful of fresh mint, a few spring onions (scallions) or 1/2 onion or a few shallots, 1/2 bulb garlic crushed, 1-2tbls Olive oil, 2 tbls fresh or dried tyme, 2 tbls ground black pepper, 1 tbls ground cumin, 1 tbls ground sea salt.

Smear all over Lamb. Pop in plastic bag and pop into fridge overnight. Give it a good squeeze every now and then to squish it all about.

Next day prepare grill for indirect cooking - Medium heat. Scrape marinade off lamb and pat dry. Put it over coals for a few mins each side to get those crispy bits going. Throw a handfull or two of wood (I use cherry) onto coals and remove lamb from over coals (indirect heat) and pop lid on kettle. Cook until done normally 45mins. It should be pink inside!

Eat with Pitta pockets (or white bread) with fresh mint chopped into yoghurt or BBQ sauce n yoghurt with green salad stuff, slaw etc etc

Last edited:
That does look good. I don't have the patience to clean the bones!!!

Here's my recipe (IMO the second best lamb recipe in the world!!!):

Bone a Leg of Lamb, stab it all over with fork.

Whizz together the following in a blender: 1 cup plain Yogurt, Grated zest of and juice of 2 Lemons, Handful of fresh mint, a few spring onions (scallions) or 1/2 onion or a few shallots, 1/2 bulb garlic crushed, 1-2tbls Olive oil, 2 tbls fresh or dried tyme, 2 tbls ground black pepper, 1 tbls ground cumin, 1 tbls ground sea salt.

Smear all over Lamb. Pop in plastic bag and pop into fridge overnight. Give it a good squeeze every now and then to squish it all about.

Next day prepare grill for indirect cooking - Medium heat. Scrape marinade off lamb and pat dry. Put it over coals for a few mins each side to get those crispy bits going. Throw a handfull or two of wood (I use cherry) onto coals and remove lamb from over coals (indirect heat) and pop lid on kettle. Cook until done normally 45mins. It should be pink inside!

Eat with Pitta pockets (or white bread) with fresh mint chopped into yoghurt or BBQ sauce n yoghurt with green salad stuff, slaw etc etc

what temp are you running when you cook it?

My recipes are the same as all the above. My advice would be to not cook lamb in it's own fat. This to me is why some don't like the so called gamey taste. I do lamb on the rotisserie or the grill to let the fat drip off of it. I tried it in the oven in a pan and couldn't eat it and we love lamb. Good luck.

Back