Maple syrup on pork?

Shotgun smokers

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm getting ready for a comp and I was needing a new pork idea.. I was watching BBQ pitmasters and it was randomly showing a guy poor maple syrup on his pork butt and it actually looked like it might be a good idea.. I am just curious if any of you have done this and have had good luck?thanks!

I used a Maple injectible marinade a few weeks ago on a 7 lb'er.
Loved the results.
This weekend I skipped the maple for an apple-juice based injection. I liked this as well.

I use Maple Syrup and Sorghum Molasses when I marinade my butts...

I haven't done maple syrup but I do use molassas in my injections/spritz.

Lately I've been injecting a mix of dark beer, worcestchire, soy, olive oil, hot sauce, and some of my rub all mixed together.

It's been really good.

I have used maple syrup on both ribs and butts and it is very good. I also use maple sugar, which is even better, in rub for ribs, it adds the flavor without the additional moisture. You could also do the 3-2-1 method with maple syrup in the foil, works great.

landarc said:
I have used maple syrup on both ribs and butts and it is very good. I also use maple sugar, which is even better, in rub for ribs, it adds the flavor without the additional moisture. You could also do the 3-2-1 method with maple syrup in the foil, works great.
Hey that sounds pretty good! I might have to try that! I know on pitmasters the guy was putting it on the pork after it was what looked already cooked. I was confussed and thought he did it as a mop of some sort. All I know is I wanna try it in some way.

It is partially cooked, 3 hours on heat no foil, then foil and cook for 2 hours, then back with no foil for an hour. Folks will put stuff in the foil when they do the 2 hour foiled cook. The current favorite thing is stuff like honey, parkay, brown sugar or rub.

I use maple syrup in the foil for my ribs. I works really well. Really adds a dimension to the flavor that you just don't get with honey.

Brandon

Make sure that you use "real maple syrup" not the Aunt Jemima ilk. I get some great stuff from a small sugarbush in Quebec. I make a glaze with Guiness, maple syrup and brown sugar, slather it on a butt or brisket when it rests in foil.

expatpig said:
Make sure that you use "real maple syrup" not the Aunt Jemima ilk. I get some great stuff from a small sugarbush in Quebec. I make a glaze with Guiness, maple syrup and brown sugar, slather it on a butt or brisket when it rests in foil.
Man that sounds good! I can't wait to try something like this!

sounds good, I have not tried it as yet. But, I have used and like pecan syrup. I use it on pork loins, inject it with other things into the loin.

after the injection I paint the loin with pecan oil, sprinkle with a rub of my making and roll the loin in fine grind pecans making a coating of sort. then it is smoked on the lang with pecan wood. taste okay to me.

must give the maple a shot, as one said in the post, the maple syrup run off the pancakes and on to the bacon and in my case sausage. taste good.

good luck on yer comp..

Back