Would you turn in skinless?

Just Pulin' Pork

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Cooked at the Topeka Kansas contest today and we ran into an issue with chicken. Long story short we turned in skinless chicken, was shocked it was not DAL!

Topeka2010007.jpg

John, that looks pretty good from here. The pieces are a tad uneven in shape and maybe you could raise the meat up in the box some, but other than that what's not to like? It's got too much sauce for me, but that's a personal thing so I try not to let that influence me. What did you score on it? I'd probably give you an 8, going by what I see in the pic. ;>)

we once turned in skinless and got a 2nd place call out of 78 teams, needless to say i was shocked :shocked:

I should have turned in skinless yesterday. My skin was very bad.

So how did it place? How many teams? Scores?

Torn a little bit on this one and I have had more time to look at it than you would at a judges table - perhaps that's why? I'm also torn on the whole skin on/off debate and likewise how to judge it. As shown in the pic I would probably go with a 7 as it looks like the skins were removed leaving the meat w/o the nice deep color that the sides have. Sauce amount doesn't bother me and in fact probably helps but seeing so much white of the box seems to wash out the color you do have. A thicker garnish bed would raise up and frame the product to make it pop more. Minor trimming at best for consistency. These done together would probably garner a 9 no skin and all.

My question back about skin on/off debate? Judged on its own merit, a judge marking down T & T simply because there is no skin I don't think is appropriate however skin done properly does add additional flavor and texture which is nice and hard to duplicate with skinless. I suppose if a skinless entry had the appropriate wow factor for a 9 in taste but what about tenderness?

Thoughts? Thanks!

I judged that comp...The chicken that I had was really not very good at all. I wish yours had come across my table...It looks like it would have been a blessing.

I've been seriously considering skinless, especially after our comp last weekend. The skin was tough as all get out and probably killed us on tenderness scores, but the taste was awsome after the skin came off. We got 17th out of 42 teams which surprised me. The catch 22, IMO, is the chicken needs sauce and the sauce is what toughens the skin.

Your chicken box looks pretty good though and it looks like you recovered well from your near disaster. FWIW, I would suggest pumping up the garnish from the bottom a bit to make your chicken pop out of the box a bit more. We always put a layer of green leaf lettuce below the parsley and think the meat lays in a letter better that way. Just my $0.02.

John, that looks pretty good from here. The pieces are a tad uneven in shape and maybe you could raise the meat up in the box some, but other than that what's not to like? It's got too much sauce for me, but that's a personal thing so I try not to let that influence me. What did you score on it? I'd probably give you an 8, going by what I see in the pic. ;>)

Because of burnt skin, long story short we turned in skinless a couple of years ago in New Holland and scored higher than we do in most competitions. 5th place. If we knew earlier and pulled the skin sooner we would have done better because it was a tad dry.

Because of burnt skin, long story short we turned in skinless a couple of years ago in New Holland and scored higher than we do in most competitions. 5th place. If we knew earlier and pulled the skin sooner we would have done better because it was a tad dry.

Ours was very salty that is why we pulled it off.

for my very first comp, i turned in skinless chicken thighs and took 19th out of 58 teams. very pleased with those results :p:p

I have practiced skin on and skinless. I prefer the look of the skinless better and the bonus of not having to screw around with preping that skin is a blessing.

Back