How to build a Brick BBQ Pit for $250 ! !

I think that maybe I have been around here too long.

I cautiously followed the link above expecting it to end up being a Mahna Mahna link, but it wasn't!

Head over to your local demolition company and see what they're konocking down. old bricks can be had for cheap

Good video. You'll have to post some pictures of the beast in action. That cooking grate isn't all that far off the ground and away from the coals so I'm a little leery.

My problem with the whole build is the cinder blocks are stacked on top of each other!!..
Not very stable!. Why not break one in have or buy a half block and then stagger them!

My problem with the whole build is the cinder blocks are stacked on top of each other!!..
Not very stable!. Why not break one in have or buy a half block and then stagger them!

Very true, its a ruff design, but it is workable and something that can be improved on.

That is one of my next project a in/out ground pit, metal line with field rock on the side and 6'' of sand in bottom with a Santa Maria raiseing device. it will be able to burn 48'' logs hopefully be under a portable type car port

I guarantee you will be picking up more pieces of brick than you put down.

Kind of similar to what my step dad and I do. However we do stagger, and not 4 high. Also, we don't do whole hog...just the shoulders or b butts. I'll post pics next time we do a cook. Hopefully REAL SOON!

Isn't the meat too close the the heat source? Only 16 inches? Actually less if you consider the fuel itself will take up some room on the ground, meaning more like 10" or 12" of space between fuel and meat.

That is truley amazing!!! Can someone explain to me how in the heck he talked his wife into HELPING him?

Ummm not sure about cementing that pit together. For temp use it looks like it would be ok. I wouldn't Cement my grill in the middle though for a permanent installation. Not sure how but thats not it.

This is what I've been talking about. That is always the way we did it.

He screwed up and should have put the grate on the third course.

We never staggered them. We would disassemble the pit after the cook was over.

We have done whole hogs on this type pit but mostly did our Christmas hams that way. Then after my granddad was gone, my Aunts husband bought a gasser and that was pretty much the end of the good times.

Back