Brisket In a Drum.

Leanza, you are a lot like me. Its too hard to try and separate the point from the flat so I just slice through them both too! When its cooked just right, which way you slice the grain doesn't seem to matter anyway.

Are there any good posts around that show how to find and then cut down that fat line after its cooked?

Trim out the hard fat before your cook. That will leave a divot that shows you exactly where to cut.

Look at the brisket closest to the front...

SDC10297.jpg

AS a bonus, you get more bark this way.

Smoke rings are overrated! But I'm surprised you didn't get one using the oak wine barrel chunks. What was your rub ingredients?
It looks good and moist.

Smoke rings are overrated! But I'm surprised you didn't get one using the oak wine barrel chunks. What was your rub ingredients?
It looks good and moist.

The rub was Montreal Steak Seasoning, Lemon Pepper, Lawreys Season Salt. No mustard. Thats why Im thinking the pan had something to do with the ring formation.

Smoke rings as over rated could draw a interesting time honored debate.

Smoke rings as over rated could draw a interesting time honored debate.

According to the KCBS, the judges are not supposed to pay any attention to the smoke ring because it can be artificially made. And I'm sure that all of the judges follow that :rolleyes:.

Ditto on the smoke ring. if the flavor was there who cares? That looks wonderful

Looks good to me. Why did you want to use a pan for the last part of the cook?

After reading funk-o-matic thirdeye and now this, I think I will KISS and do the same. Use Funk-o-matics rub and other instructions. Then just throw her on the Drum, get her dialed in and come back when its over 190* and probes like butter in the center of the flat.

Cheers and heres to the same Luck!

Looks good enough to eat.:p Now I have a goal to shoot for.

Last edited:
Whatever you did, however you did it, from the look of the pics, it was done right.

Back