Trying the basics

Mxited

Today, I am smoking a hot fatty and a mild fatty. Wanted to keep it simple so I simply used a different rub on each and settled the XL BGE at 250 dome. Going to hit the 165 internal and rest them for an hour befor I try each. I am new to smoking meats and new to the BGE, so the fatty was an attractive start. I have grilled some chops and steak on it, but that is it.

Great site and thanks for all the great contributions.

Welcome. That is a good start to break in your new rig. A boston butt (pork shoulder) is also a good start for larger meat cuts.

Fatty fatty fatty fatty fatty fatty fatty fatty fatty fatty fatty fatty fatty
bacondog_zps8428a350.jpg

Update: too dark to take good pics, but they looked like most fattys I've seen on here. They were very good and had a 1/8" smoke ring. My family is not a fan of any type of sausage--yeah, I know, right? I really liked them and the guys at worked were impressed because they had never even heard of a smoked fatty--at least not one you wanted to eat. To be quite frank, it must be a thing here in L.A. (Lower arkansas) because nobody that I have talked to had ever heard of them. I had not either until I joined the Brethren. They would be great to make at the deer camp and serve them with a big breakfast. Anyone up for some biscuits and smoked fatty gravy? I guess I can begin experimenting with a few fillers and rubs now that I got my feet wet.

I haven't tried a fattie because I don't really like breakfast sausage unless it is in sausage gravy ... sorry, I know that i probably blaphsemy. I think it is the sage I don't like, so maybe could try with some sage free sausage. Has anyone ever made one with something other than breakfast sausage.....or is that just not a fattie.

I haven't tried a fattie because I don't really like breakfast sausage unless it is in sausage gravy ... sorry, I know that i probably blaphsemy. I think it is the sage I don't like, so maybe could try with some sage free sausage. Has anyone ever made one with something other than breakfast sausage.....or is that just not a fattie.
Just about any sausage will do, stuffed and wrapped in bacon, naked is all good. I have done a naked fatty crumbled it, flattened out crescent roll (in one big sheet) sprinkled some of the sausage on it and rolled it up and sliced it, put them back on the smoker and baked them till done, took the rest and made gravy, good biscuits and gravy!

Back