IBCA judging criteria

D

Derrick D

Hello Brethren my first sanctioned comp is this weekend i've watched from the sidelines long enough.I was wanting to know what the IBCA looks for in a turn in box and any pics would be a great help.TO sauce or not to sauce,burned ends with sliced brisket,etc thanks in advance.

I don't compete a ton but go to a few a year, mostly IBCA. They ask for 7 slices (9 at larger cookoffs). I don't think they'd let you turn in burnt ends. They want the boxes to be uniform and will tell you how to lay your meat in so that there's no risk of 'marking' your turn in for others to recognize while judging.

Sauce? Your call. You can cook in sauce but it can't be puddled up and slathered on after the fact. Generally speaking, I cook ribs with sauce as well as my chicken. But it's up to you. If there is excessive sauce they could ask you to sop it up.

Others with more experience will know more. Good luck. Where you cooking? Ft. Worth? Waxahachie?

Ft .Worth stock yard cops for kids thanks for your insight.

From the IBCA Website.

9. JUDGING TRAY CONTENTS - IBCA requires that the promoter and/or Head Judge advise all cooks of
the exact quantities and cuts of meat that will be placed in the
judging trays. This will normally be
accomplished at the cook’s meeting. The Head Judge or designated representative will inspect all trays
at the time of turn-in in order to assure compliance with the turn-in criteria. All garnishes and condiments
are prohibited, as they do not reflect the true quality of the cooked meat.

Meats may be cooked with sauces and/or other liquids, but once the cooking is complete, sauces
and/or liquids may not be added once put into tray. NO PUDDLING IN BOTTOM OF TRAY.

Recommended amounts are as follows:
Brisket: seven (7) full slices approximately 1/4” to 3/8” thick
Pork Spare Ribs: seven (7) individual cut ribs (bone-in)
Chicken 1/2 fully jointed chicken (to include a breast, wing, thigh, and
drumstick, with skin on. (NO Cornish Game Hens)

[FONT=Arial,sans-serif]Pork Pulled, sliced, or chopped ( All trays will be turned in the same,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,sans-serif] either pulled, sliced, or chopped as directed by Promoter/Head Judge)[/FONT]

Hello Brethren my first sanctioned comp is this weekend i've watched from the sidelines long enough.I was wanting to know what the IBCA looks for in a turn in box and any pics would be a great help.TO sauce or not to sauce,burned ends with sliced brisket,etc thanks in advance.

And congratulations on diving in! Its all down hill from there....

Good luck this weekend.

Do a search here in the comp section under my ID. I usually post my trays.

Burnt ends will get you sent back.

Brisket & Ribs 3rd Place Brisket & 9th Place Ribs

3rd place Chicken

DSCN5229.jpg

And like mentioned above, 7 ribs, 7 slices of brisket and 1 chicken half. If there are a lot of teams, then 9 ribs, 9 slices of brisket and 2 chicken halves. They'll tell you at the cooks meeting. Take a paper towel with you for your turn ins. You have to open your box before turning it in. If there is any juice on the foil mop it up. Anything that seeps out after they close the box and send to judges can't be counted against you.

You can't trim the ends of the brisket, curve them if they're too long for the box.

Thank's brother I really appreciate your help I hate you wont be there this weekend i'd like to meet ya maybe later this season.

I have learned alot from Ty we usually cook next to each other I'll be doing the KoC comp in Irving

Back