Dutch Oven Cooking - Pic heavy

Camille Eonich

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
In addition to grilling I have started trying my hand at a little dutch oven cooking too. Here's my first pot roast in a dutch oven.

23_done2_JPG.jpg

22_done1_JPG.jpg

The pot roast is in the big oven, biscuits in the small one.

16_three_on_JPG.jpg

13_Cookin_Now_JPG.jpg

Biscuits

19_fluffy_biscuits_JPG.jpg

The flat rock bordering the campfire is a great idea, specially for this style of cooking, Very Nice!

Excellent job... This labor day will be my next attempt at bisquits. so far I'm 0 and 2 I always burn the bottom. Next time I'm going to go super slow and low. Chilli is AWSOME in the DO too.

I want to try some cobblers and stuff. My Dutch Oven guru makes me take it slow though. He does cooking for reenactments and stuff and gets 20 or 30 DOs going ot once. It's amazing!

I was working on repairs of my parents house for close of escrow and went to their local mom and pop hardware store. The kind that stocks or rather has left over parts for old homes. The sell Dutch ovens and they had one of the biggest I have ever seen.

I really like cooking in my dutch oven but i don't do it often enough. The pot roast and biscuits look good.

Looks like your following your gurus instruction pretty well. The biscuits look perfect.

Paul

I really like cooking in my dutch oven but i don't do it often enough. The pot roast and biscuits look good.

To me that it's harder, and hotter, than grillin' or smokin'. Of course I've been grillin' a lot longer than I've been trying to cook in iitty bitty cast iron ovens outside though.:mrgreen:

Awesome looking grub, I love cooking in my DO's. I cook a mean pot roast and beef stew over open fire.

Excellent job... This labor day will be my next attempt at bisquits. so far I'm 0 and 2 I always burn the bottom. Next time I'm going to go super slow and low. Chilli is AWSOME in the DO too.

When you cook biscuits or bake anything, if your using coals from fire, don't put much on the bottom and make a circle (leave the center open). Put most of your heat on top and towards the outside of the lid. If you use charcoal, again don't use much and spread them out on the bottom (no. of bottom coals should be 1/2 the size of the DO, ie: 12 inch oven, 6 coals on bottom and 24 on top).

Don't go too low and slow, they won't cook right.

Nice set up there. Is that camping or do you have that set-up in your backyard. I've been meaning to set me up something like that in mine.

When you cook biscuits or bake anything, if your using coals from fire, don't put much on the bottom and make a circle (leave the center open). Put most of your heat on top and towards the outside of the lid. If you use charcoal, again don't use much and spread them out on the bottom (no. of bottom coals should be 1/2 the size of the DO, ie: 12 inch oven, 6 coals on bottom and 24 on top).

I'll try the ring next time. I would have liked for the biscuits to get a little more brown on top.

Nice set up there. Is that camping or do you have that set-up in your backyard. I've been meaning to set me up something like that in mine.

It's in the back yard. My husband set it up for us. :mrgreen: He likes to cook too.

Dutch ovens stink, and I would never own one!:twisted:

I own several, and they only stink when I season them inside... Nice looking setup, and congrats. Here are some pics of mine in action:

Attachments

• Cast Iron 1.jpg
    Cast Iron 1.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 425
  • old smoker 18.jpg
    old smoker 18.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 425
  • Jambalaya 2.jpg
    Jambalaya 2.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 419
  • Chili Powder 3.jpg
    Chili Powder 3.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 422
Camille, do yours have legs that I can't see? I was under the impression that legs help a lot if you are cooking on a campfire?

Now you have got me wanting to find a dutch oven for myself. :mrgreen:

I do some dutch oven cooking. Its the original slow cooker. All those pics make me hungry........

Thats some fine lookin grub, I have had a DO for 4 years now and never used it, this makes me want to break it out. Those biscuits look great!!!!

Back