Never again !!!!!!!!!!!!!

got14u

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Never again will I do a 12-16 hour brisket smoke. This was my first high heat brisket and let me tell ya, there is no reason to be doing over night smokes for a good end product. This one is by far the best brisket I have done. And it only took 4 hrs, yes I said 4 hours. I am doing burnt ends with the point so they are back in the smoker but the flat is resting as we speak. I started at 11 o’clock and ran the smoker at 325-350 by 3 o’clock it was ready to pull. I was figuring at least 5 hours but nope. I did inject it with a Worchester sauce, merlot wine and some granulated garlic. Rubbed with lantana of texas all purpose seasoning and a little extra black pepper. Here are the pics and if you haven’t tried a high temp brisket you should…I am a convert

DSC_00030003-1.jpg

All butchered up…This one was a *&&^& to trim but we got her
DSC_00080008.jpg

Checked the temps it was at 165 here
DSC_00010001_1.jpg

Just rested
DSC_00050005-1.jpg

Point cut for burnt ends
DSC_00060006-1.jpg

DSC_00070007_1.jpg

Good looking brisket.

I don't feel strongly about either process so I run at 275-300. I do feel that there is a depth of flavor that is missing from extreme high heat brisket but the tenderness is there for sure.

Looks great! I resemble the above comments too. I did high heat briskets there for a couple years, and have since gone back to lower heat for the flavor. There's nothing wrong with having a good product fast though!:cool:

I tried high heat brisket 325 or so. and It came out great! Took about 5 hrs .. I want to try to beat that time. now i dont stress over the temp creeping up when im trying to smoke for a longer time.. :cool:

Very nice looking brisket!!! So why have we been cooking brisket low and slow all these years?? :confused:

i have to agree, despite the fact i've only done 1 HH. 8# whole packer, barely 4 hours. it was excellent.
i've always been a lonslo guy, but now?
anyway, i'm looking at it like this: i'd eat a HH tender brisket sandwich which might have a little less depth of flavor than a lonslo brisket every time, than a beef jerky sammich, which would have a TON of flavor, but be like eating a shoe. i think tender is the GATEWAY to flavor. if it ain't tender FIRST, the taste gets lost altogether.

so, if HH is losing a bit in taste, but gaining consistentcy in tender, i'm sold.

it is wreaking havoc on my comp timetable though.

long live the poor old lo and slo ! wheres she going with all these high temp posts!

david

i've always done 8-9 hour briskets with temps around 250-325. they always came out great. but the last time i did one several weeks ago the wind was swirling around so i had a hard time keeping the temp down. was all over the place from 300 to 380 deg. was probe soft just about 5 hrs. i would say it was the best. wife liked it so thats it.

thanks for all the comments..i think there is something about the HH that gives the bark a better flavor as well. More like a good sear on a steak. Yes a little less smokie flavor but I might try a little stronger wood next time and see. and here are the pics of the burnt ends as well..Oh and is it me or does no one really use a red wine for a injection? I thought it came off good. I might go a little less next time but I liked it

DSC_00100001.jpg

Dayam... Brothers It just aint right... You'll be tellin me to BOIL the damn brisket next and then nuke in a BGE at 600F...

Go on, try it.. someone!:mod:

HH, Low and Slow, I say cook the thing to your liking (in the time allowed) and get it on the table. Let's eat!!

The cook time for a low & slo brisket has been the main reason I haven't been able to try one yet. With all these Hot & Fast success stories tho, I just might be able to finally do one.

Good lookin briskey btw!

Innovation, gotta love it! What am I gonna do with all the time I'm saving? It's like going fishing with dynamite, sure you are going to have a lot of fish but... for me, it's not about the end product, it's the process.

Oh and is it me or does no one really use a red wine for a injection? I thought it came off good. I might go a little less next time but I liked it

It might be you, but I doubt it.:p I love to inject and yours sounded good to me.

Great looking brisket! I agree that the 16 hour low and slows are a little overrated but, I also like it to take a bit longer than 4 hours just to get that life fire taste deeper into the meat, that said though, I'd never turn down one that looked that good. :becky:

Man, that looks good. I'm going to try that on my kettle soon.

Back