• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Guess the leftovers

P

PorkQPine

Here is a great exercise and learning experience for me and also for some of the other newer guys.

Lunch at the office of a major corporation with 100 employees, mixed men and women and the average age was about 35. All meats smoked on-site.

Served:
66 lbs. tri-tip carved on site for sandwiches on a bun or slices.
40# chicken leg quarters
48 7oz. chicken breasts
1 pan cole slaw
2 pans potato salad
6 loaves garlic bread
100 small sandwich buns (four 25 bun packages)
assorted cookies
Sodas and water

Any guesses on what was leftover? No, it's not a trick question.

I would say that there was probably alot of tri-tip leftover like 2/3rds, a pan of potato salad, If the chicken breasts were boneless, I'm guessing they were gone, if not then some left over, Leg quarters there was probably half leftover. Now if people were allowed to take any home these numbers would drop greatly.

hope you charged at least $15 per head. That's enough tri-tip for over 200 sammys but I bet people came back for seconds so not much left. Most of the chicken probably went. You should have run out of slaw. Probably had a little potato salad left but not much. Bread - gone. Same for soda and water.

I bet the chicken breasts were left, at least 3/4 of it. And 25% of the bread. 1-1/2 cups of potato salad was left and a whiff of the beef lingered in the air.

And the answer is!

Moink balls- 0
hot links - 0
chicken breasts - 0 (boneless, skinless)
chicken leg quarters - 10#
Tri-tip - 30#
Garlic bread - 3 loaves
Cookies - 3 doz.
Potato Salad - 1 pan
Slaw - a few servings left

Bigbutzbbq was pretty much right on the money. I knew I was doing too much tri-tip but considering that I set up a carving table I figured that I would serve much more than I did. Also, since this was the first time I catered for this company, and they do a lot of catered events during the year I really wanted to make sure I had enough of a number of items to take over this account for the rest of the year. Running out was not an option. I was told that they will be using me a lot in the future. Next time I will have these numbers to work off of and will be able to better estimate the food required.

how big were the pans of potato salad? i have to make that for 35-38 people and i'm not sure how many pounds of potatos to use.

thanks in advance.

Back