Rumors of Weber Kamodo / Akorn / Egg?

Chezmatt

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
In a thread about the Akorn last week, somebody mentioned a rumor that Weber might make a kamodo-style cooker. Has anyone heard anything about this?

I wonder what the market for them is? The gasser market which they probably own most likely far out weighs the charcoal/lump crowd.

I believe that rumor came up on the BBQB forum once before.

CD

I heard that Char Broil bought the rights to the Jambo from Jamie Geer and is going to start mass producing them :D:p:eek:

Edit: my apologies for interfering in your thread with such nonsense. :eek:

I found this

“Sooner or later, the big boys are going to get into it,” Bobby Brennan, the president of Kamado Joe, said recently. “If Weber doesn’t make one soon, somebody in their strategy department needs to get fired.”

Weber thinks otherwise. “We have been carefully researching ceramic outdoor cookers,” said Michael Kempster, an executive vice president of Weber-Stephen Products, “and while they have a small and enthusiastic following, most outdoor grilling enthusiasts find them too expensive and too complicated to use.”

at http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/13/d...g-green-egg-united-tastes.html?pagewanted=all (dated July 2011.)

They could always change their mind if they thought they could sell them.

Weber was saying for the YEARS that they would NEVER make a 22" WSM, even just a few weeks before they started leaking the announcement of the 22" WSM.

That doesn't mean they will make a ceramic, but it does mean that they keep things under wraps really well, and nobody can say for sure what they are going to do until just shortly before something is announced.

I don't see a need for them to enter that market, personally. However, these things are clearly not just a "trend".

Your guess is as good as anyone's, really.

I hope they stick with what they are good at.,,,,,and They are GOOD at kettles/WSM ,etc. Gassers do not interest me but I guess they are good at those too.There are a lot more ops to sell a $100 kettle to the masses than specialty grills,says a guy lucky to have found deals on or been gifted 3 BGEs,2L,1S.I love the Eggs but I would NEVER let my Weber cookers go.I must say the Weber spokesman does not have a clue if he thinks a BGE is complicated to operate.

Weber has a huge market share of the grill industry. They make great products and have customer service that rocks. I can understand a company that just crushes what they do wanting to just keep crushing it because the system works and makes them lots of money. Trying to roll out a new product line where the costs are much higher than current products can turn out to be a bust and takes a lot of planning, money and marketing.

All that being said I agree with the statement made by Kamodo Joe's president. And I have to call a little BS on Weber where they said “and while they have a small and enthusiastic following, most outdoor grilling enthusiasts find them too expensive and too complicated to use". A very large portion of their gas grills are quite expensive. Maybe not complicated to use but expensive. You can easily blow $600-$2000 and more on their gas grills.

Without statistical evidence I will say that there are lots of egg/kamado/primo/ceramic lovers out there that would love to see an offering from Weber. Hell I'd buy one and I bet many others would too. We might not see one immediately, but I'll bet they will make one.

Last edited:
I think Weber is in the business of stamping and bending steel, not playing with clay.

IMO, they might (I'm hoping) make a kamado cooker. However, it will be the insulated steel style after the akorn and big steel keg, and not the ceramic style. They could still bend metal, they would just have to use an extra sheet and throw a layer of insulation in between them. And produce it in the USA.

It is hard to predict what Weber will do, as the Stephens family sold majority ownership of Weber to a private equity firm. So, Weber will have to do whatever it has to to make lots money for the partners in the private equity firm. I hope that this private equity firm isn't like Bain Capital, and hasn't taken out huge loans against Weber assets that can not be paid back, in order to fatten the wallets of the private equity investors, forcing Weber into bankruptcy, but this is 2013, and that is how the big money is made these days.

IMO, it is a 50-50 split. The private equity firm will definitely want make a ton of money, but it is 50-50 whether they will decide to kill the company to make that money. I honestly hope they don't do that.

CD

IMO, they might (I'm hoping) make a kamado cooker. However, it will be the insulated steel style after the akorn and big steel keg, and not the ceramic style. They could still bend metal, they would just have to use an extra sheet and throw a layer of insulation in between them. And produce it in the USA.

This is what I was thinking. I can't imagine Weber would want to move away from its core competency of building metal cookers. I was just wondering if they might make an akorn/bsk type cooker with Weber quality and service. I'd buy one.

Hopefully, the PEF that bought out Weber is a good one like Bain Capital. Bain turned around several failing companies such as Staples, Sports Authority, and Steel Dynamics. It's not hard to see what Weber's core competency is and that is what a good PEF will be leveraging. I hope they make lots of money giving us quality kettles and if a Kamado is in the mix, I bet it will be a good one.

If you think about it they already have the technology and the design. The WSM could easily be converted to a Komado cooker. The base wouldn't change and the center section would be shrunk in height and permanently attached to the base. Add an insulated interior and hinge the current top and I think you might have it. This is not a large R&D nor Capital investment on their part. So, the market can be entered rather quickly. It's an interesting thought.

If the price stays competitive with the Akorn, they could make a killing. IMO the Weber name is far more respected and desirable than CharGriller. If they compete with the Akorn on quality and price, I'd at least seriously consider one.

Back