BBQ'ing Chicken: UDS or Weber Kettle

bbqgeekess

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
If you owned only a Weber Kettle and a UDS, which would you prefer to BBQ your chicken on?

I know you can crisp up the skin pretty well on the lower grate of a UDS with fire cranked up a bit with no diffuser.

I normally do my chicken on the kettle, 2 zone setup, as long as you have room for all the chicken you are cooking.

I prefer mine on the kettle. Then again I prefer to use my kettle over my UDS for a majority of cooks because it is easier to setup and get going.

I'd defer to my mini for chicken...turns out the best chicken on the PLANET. If i couldn't do it on the mini then i'd go to the Jimmy or UDS. It's almost over kill firing up the UDS for only a chicken but for even cooking and temp control it's higher quality Q than on the kettle.

Don't get me wrong...the kettle is a trooper and a versatile cooker but the cover has been on it for a long time since the mini's came into the picture.

UDS for me, crispy skin is a breeze. Kosher salt, cook at 325. I always cook 2 so the swaping racks in the bullet was a pain. The Acorn does a good job, but the UDS does an even better job for me and easier to clean.
k4fg.jpg

Kettle for me too. I've turned out some of my best chicken ever on the OTS. I call it my chicken cooking machine.

Depends upon what type of chicken and how much.

Few pieces for the family I just use the Weber. But when we cook chicken for our club picnic we buy pre seasoned chicken that just needs to be heated through, so I fill up a couple UDS on all the shelves.

I'd defer to my mini for chicken...turns out the best chicken on the PLANET. If i couldn't do it on the mini then i'd go to the Jimmy or UDS. It's almost over kill firing up the UDS for only a chicken but for even cooking and temp control it's higher quality Q than on the kettle.

Don't get me wrong...the kettle is a trooper and a versatile cooker but the cover has been on it for a long time since the mini's came into the picture.

How do you cook your chicken on your mini? Do you do it without a diffuser? I've done chicken on the mini but the skin was rubbery.

If you have a 22.5 kettle, buy a rotisserie kit for it. I have the Cajun Bandit rotisserie kit, and it makes the most amazing whole chickens. I brine my birds overnight, and put them on the spit for 60-90 minutes, depending on the size.

Here is how I set up the kettle...

picture.php

CD

How do you cook your chicken on your mini? Do you do it without a diffuser? I've done chicken on the mini but the skin was rubbery.
Spatchcock and cook 350...My diffuser is only the steamer that came with the pot.

The flavor that get's deposited back on the bird is just incredible imo...can't get enough of mini chicken!

Well... I kinda do both.... My UDS has an adjustable fire basket that I can hang directly under the cooking grate to use for direct heat cooking. I also made a rotisserie ring accessory for it (I can use the spit or a Rib-O-Lator). It basically makes my UDS an all purpose cooker. But normally, I spatchcock the bird and just smoke it for a couple of hours at about 300 degrees with a mix of hickory and apple wood. Did one today in fact.

Back