Contest Results Barn Burner BarBQ, Libertyville, IL - Oct. 17 & 18, 2008 ***Results Added***

Ron_L

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just spoke with the organizer of this event and she asked me to spread the word that the Barn Burner BarbQ at Lamb's Farm in Libertyville, IL is definitely happening this year. There was some question about the satus of the event earlier in the year since the previous organizer moved to another job, but they are planning on holding the event and are looking for teams!

Here is the web site for more information...

http://www.lambsfarm.org/events/

and here is a link to the application..

http://www.lambsfarm.org/images/KCBS BBQ Competition Entry Form 2008.pdf

I cooked at this competition with Parrothead two years ago and judged last year. It is a great venue and was a lot of fun and it is close to the Chicago and Milwaukee metro areas so local teams can get there without spending a fortune in gas!

We're planning on cooking this year and hope to see as many of you out there as possible!

If they have 25 teams, I will be there. I don't want to send my $$ in and find out that it is going to be canceled or not a qualifying contest. Then I have to try and get my $$ back.

Scottie

If they have 25 teams, I will be there. I don't want to send my $$ in and find out that it is going to be canceled or not a qualifying contest. Then I have to try and get my $$ back.

Scottie

As of Tuesday when they called me they only had 6 teams paid. Is it lack of marketing among cooks? Is it the fact that many teams showed up to support Kate and Alex? I hope they make it. I'm leaning to supporting Nelsonville because they are a longer running contest and the local business have taken over.

a lot of it was support to Kate and Alex. I mean, don't get me wrong, I will support it as well again this year if they get 25 teams. But right now I don't feel like losing my entry fee for a non-qualifying contest.

As of Tuesday when they called me they only had 6 teams paid. Is it lack of marketing among cooks? Is it the fact that many teams showed up to support Kate and Alex? I hope they make it. I'm leaning to supporting Nelsonville because they are a longer running contest and the local business have taken over.

Nelsonville would be the shorter drive....

a lot of it was support to Kate and Alex. I mean, don't get me wrong, I will support it as well again this year if they get 25 teams. But right now I don't feel like losing my entry fee for a non-qualifying contest.

I understand your hesitation, but if everyone holds off then they will never get 25 teams confirmed and we'll all be sitting on our hands. Unless folks want to drive to Ohio, which is a haul from NW IL and SE WI, there isn't another comp after Arthur. I'd like to see this one make it since it is so close.

Last edited:
A 23 team contest does me no good for my BBQ goals. If it gets to 25, I will sign up. I've lost an entry this year already, I don't need to keep doing that, as I won't be competing very long if it does...

I also know a little more about the contest than most. I do not think that Kate and Alex were treated very well by Lamb's the first 2 years. While I am not their spokesmen, I still saw what was going on...

Besides, I am not afraid to drive.

A 23 team contest does me no good for my BBQ goals. If it gets to 25, I will sign up. I've lost an entry this year already, I don't need to keep doing that, as I won't be competing very long if it does...

I don't want to lose my entry fee, either, and I'd much rather it be a qualifier as well. Our goal for the coming year (starting now) is to make it into the Jack draw, so i want every comp we enter to be a qualifier since we don't cook all that many.

I also know a little more about the contest than most. I do not think that Kate and Alex were treated very well by Lamb's the first 2 years. While I am not their spokesmen, I still saw what was going on...

That's unfortunate. They are good people and I know that they worked very hard to make the competition a success.

Besides, I am not afraid to drive.

I am :-D I think my Pathfinder is still panting after those hills around Dubuque :rolleyes:

Actually, I'd love to do some competitions father from home and we may pick a few next year but my vacation time is limited for the rest of this year so the extra day for travel is a problem right now.

How about those hills coming out of Galena. I was stuck behind a 18 wheeler basically until Freeport. Never found a good spot to try and overtake it...

I think they really want Libertyville to succeed. I am ready to go and I have told Claudia that. She just won't get my check early... That might be the best extra $25 I ever spend... :roll:

Right, wrong, or indifferent - I'm with Scottie. The extra $25 is worth it to ensure Libertyville is a qualifier and that is in line with our goals.

Sadly, Nelsonville doesn't sound like it is with out problems either.

We're in a holding pattern to see what shakes out.

BTW.....See ya tommorow Scottie.......

We are thinking of making the trip to this one...really want to get one more in this year:-D Any update on the # of teams??

Got the udpdate today...
8 paid
2 in the mail (just a guess:p)
1 me
2 Tonto and Scottie
So looks like 13 by my count:twisted:. 12 more should be no problem in the next month.

Ford, are you going east or west?

Looking forward to meeting a few brothers
Joe

I just received confirmation from the organzier and she stated if they do not get 25 teams, they will refund our entry fees if you were going for this contest as a qualifier...

They have 10 paid... So let's bump these numbers a bit and not lose a contest in Northern Illinois/Wisconsin...

i'll go but someone has to make dinner and i want chef boyarde spegetti and meat balls if i get that im there

I'd love to go just dont know if I can swing another one this year. I will check with a few people this week and see if someone will go in with me

Back