Injection Question - Moved From Competition

Dem are nice, Chad, but I decided that it would be overkill for a backyard guy like me.

Had not thought about the enema thing--Maybe a side business?:eek:

I've used a lot of the throw away injectors, cheapies from Walmart, and the Cabela's ones and I actually prefer the throw aways. I like the quality of the Cabela models but they are harder to use (I have a bit of carpel-tunnel in the right hand) than the plastic.

I love my brine pump - though it really would be overkill for the backyard cook.

Anyone else notice that the Injection recipe intructions for making it has 1 ingredient not listed under ingredients?

SUGAR

Was it left out? I was going to try it tonight.

Ty

chad said:
I've used a lot of the throw away injectors, cheapies from Walmart, and the Cabela's ones and I actually prefer the throw aways. I like the quality of the Cabela models but they are harder to use (I have a bit of carpel-tunnel in the right hand) than the plastic.

That's exactly what I was talking about... the stainless Cabela's injectors! The cheap plastic one I bought works a heck of a lot easier!

thillin said:
Anyone else notice that the Injection recipe intructions for making it has 1 ingredient not listed under ingredients?

SUGAR

Was it left out? I was going to try it tonight.

Ty

Ty, I noticed that also. I've always heard that salt and sugar should be pretty much equal in injections and brines but can you count the apple juice as "sugar"?

icemn62 said:
Jeff I love that avatar.:biggrin:

Did any one else notice that Jeff's new avatar lends a whole new meaning to "Pleasant Hills":grin:

qman said:
Did any one else notice that Jeff's new avatar lends a whole new meaning to "Pleasant Hills":grin:

It fits with the rest... Boobs, Beer and BBQ - the Three B's of Life.

Anyway, to remain on topic, does anyone have any idea why that Big Bob Gibson recipe and method wouldn't work at a competition? I haven't seen Rob around in a couple of days to answer that. I personally don't see a problem with it.

Jeff_in_KC said:
It fits with the rest... Boobs, Beer and BBQ - the Three B's of Life.

Anyway, to remain on topic, does anyone have any idea why that Big Bob Gibson recipe and method wouldn't work at a competition? I haven't seen Rob around in a couple of days to answer that. I personally don't see a problem with it.

Jeff, according to Mike Mills in "Peace, Love, and Barbecue", that IS Big Bob Gibson's competition method. He says it is a "Grand World Championship" recipe.

Sooo-I think it would work---well.

Peace, Love, and Barbecue page 77 and 78

Dr. Ray has a similar (sic) version of a "competition" injection mix on page 40 of Big-Time Barbecue Cookbook. Thanks Dr.BBQ

qman, I only ask because Rob indicates there are differences in this and how a butt would be done at comp and didn't explain why. I kinda thought the same thing you did... I just thought maybe I was missing something.

qman said:
Jeff, according to Mike Mills in "Peace, Love, and Barbecue", that IS Big Bob Gibson's competition method. He says it is a "Grand World Championship" recipe.

Sooo-I think it would work---well.

Peace, Love, and Barbecue page 77 and 78

Dr. Ray has a similar (sic) version of a "competition" injection mix on page 40 of Big-Time Barbecue Cookbook. Thanks Dr.BBQ

How much sugar is in the injection?

thillin said:
How much sugar is in the injection?

3/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup kosher salt, finely gound
2 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce

Recipe says you should use abut 1/2 ounce of this per pound.

Happy squirting:cool:

BTW, this is the Big Bob Gibson recipe from Mike Mills' book.

DrBBQ's "Big Pig Pork Injection" calls for pineapple juice an apple juice in equal portions, brown sugar, salt, Worcestershire, soy, hot sauce and dry mustard.

If ya'll ain't run ot and grabbed up a copy of Big Time BBQ, you should. Good book,lots of good stuff.

Didn't I see Ray post he was gonna send all of us an autographed copy for Christmas? :biggrin: :biggrin: :wink:

Jeff_in_KC said:
Didn't I see Ray post he was gonna send all of us an autographed copy for Christmas?
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
wink.gif
Not really.

Try PitBitchin' for him--that might work--or maybe not.
Never can tell :grin:

TIM

I have a butt that has been "enhanced" with a 12% salt solution. If I am going to use the Big Bob Gibson injection, should I leave out the salt since the butt already has a brine in it?

Back