• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Smoked Turkey for a sandwich (but no pron...)

smokedinvt

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Over the weekend, we did an early family thanksgiving dinner for my niece who was home for R&R from "overseas". I smoked a 14 pound turkey for the meal.
I have a pretty basic smoker (Brinkmann electric) so it is very difficult to control the temp. After reading many posts here, I was thinking an hour and a half per pound, but no, it took 7 hours to totally cook that baby. I brined it first for about 6 hours. Rubbed it with a home made rub. The outcome was great smoked turkey.
I have also heard that smoked meat is better the second day. True story here. I made turkey sandwiches for lunch each day, and they are terrific. That nice smoky flavor comes through. :-D

Sounds great, hard to believe it ever occured without pron though. I guess i will take your word for it. :p

I did the same thing recently, but brined for 2 days (not on purpose), and smoked for 3 hours around 250. Seriously good sandwiches!!! Definitely agree about better the second day, particularly if you spoon some drippings on prior to storage.

I did the same thing recently, but brined for 2 days (not on purpose), and smoked for 3 hours around 250. Seriously good sandwiches!!! Definitely agree about better the second day, particularly if you spoon some drippings on prior to storage.

Oh yeah, great idea! I should have thought to throw some of the drippings in!

7 hours at what temp? How much did it vary? What type of wood did you use? Did you spatch it? We want to know all the juicy details...:p

Thanks for sharing,

Papa

I did one yesterday and decided to basically roast it on the Egg. So I got the smoker up to 325 with RO lump and alot of hickory like twice as much as I use for a brisket.
Just some Dino BBQ Foreplay rubbed all over.

Took about 4-4 1/2 hours for a 15 lb.

Turkey was moist and had a lot of smoke flavor. Hot and Fast Turkey!!

7 hours at what temp? How much did it vary? What type of wood did you use? Did you spatch it? We want to know all the juicy details...:p

Thanks for sharing,

Papa

So that's part of the problem, I don't know what the temp is for the smoker. the cheesy one I have doesn't have a thermometer nor does it have any way to regulate the heat.
I smoked with apple wood I cut from a tree on our property.
Sorry to show my rookie knowledge, but what do you mean by "spatch" it?
Rubbed the turkey with some home made rub I made up off of a recipe. Added a little bit of flavor. No injections.
Thanks for the inquiry!

[Sorry to show my rookie knowledge, but what do you mean by "spatch" it?

Probably best way to delve into spatching is to use the google search feature. Lots of good info & vids.

So that's part of the problem, I don't know what the temp is for the smoker. the cheesy one I have doesn't have a thermometer nor does it have any way to regulate the heat.
I smoked with apple wood I cut from a tree on our property.
Sorry to show my rookie knowledge, but what do you mean by "spatch" it?
Rubbed the turkey with some home made rub I made up off of a recipe. Added a little bit of flavor. No injections.
Thanks for the inquiry!

spatchcock

Thanks for the reply smokedinvt, its always good to see how someone else does it...

Thanks Big Alan for taking up my slack...

Papa

Back