• 100 Gal. Air Tank Build (Offset)

Phrasty

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hey guys... So I'v had this tank in my yard for about 6 months now meaning to make some time to get to it... Well it finally looks like this is round 2 for an offset build. It's about a 100 gal. (approx. 20"x50") air compressor tank made out of 3/8ths steel.

I don't have as much time on my hands this time around so the process might take a bit longer. I'm more than likely only gonna get to have time on the weekends for it. I'm also still looking for a couple parts and whatnot. Hopefully it wont drag on too long.

I'm planning on making this an offset smoker with the ability to be used as a grill (chicken cooker). This should be interesting... Hopefully it will go as smooth as my 120 gal. build.

I've already started to play a bit so the process has started and I'm planning on doing some more work on it this weekend.

Well... here's what I have so far:

I have cut the doors, welded on some hinges and started removing & grinding the unneeded parts on the exterior.
62727212.jpg

Made a single opening with double doors so it could fit a whole hog/lamb/goat... whatever. :thumb:
a63b0970.jpg

c14d869a.jpg

And some steel decided to come along for the ride...
f6ead9f4.jpg

Thanks for looking... This should be fun. :becky:
Cheers.

This does look like a Phrasty build! Happy to be able to watch this one from the beginning. Pass the popcorn, smokingj! :-D

How heavy are the doors on a 3/8" tank that size? Are they manageable without counterweight?

It's borderline... I can manage it but it would be nice. Odds are I'll counterweight it but I'm not gonna hold off lighting her up and cooking if it's not installed yet. :wink:

You mention whole animals...... rotisserie?

If I get the parts at a decent price why not but for now It'll just be on the bottom shelf. Gonna make the bottom shelf reversible for easy rotation.

wow. good luck. do you plan on a seam overlap in hte center on one of the doors?

Thanks a lot. Yeah I installed it today. :thumb: Check!

Cheers

So I got a little done today. Was on the road for most of the morning so I didn't get through everything planned. I managed to clean up the edges of the doors and cut and weld on the seals. Started marking and planning out the grate slides.

Here's a couple pics of today's activities:

Cleaning up:
fb7ca834.jpg

You can see how thick this tank is...
ff490cfd.jpg

Cutting the steel (just think this was a cool shot. :thumb:)
44b2e6c8.jpg

Took a little break with some pepper shrimps and a beer:
ae103d30.jpg

db7c1d20.jpg

Back to work grinding:
71b897c0.jpg

All clamped up for tacking:
c8aaaa27.jpg

And this is what we ended up with today. Not a bad start...
0ac44594.jpg

17191999.jpg

Hopefully I get a chance to get a little more done tomorrow. :thumb:

Thanks for looking.
Cheers.

Last edited:
I made one out of that same tank. Took some tweaking here and there. It's trailer mounted now.

Back