Question about cooking boston butt

louisville fan

Reaction score
Im cooking my first butt today. How long should a 4.5lb but cook forand what should the internal temp be? I have figured out that my uds will hold around 225 to 250 degrees steady. Seems that's what temp it likes.

Listen to Skidder he is a wise man.. I would reccommend bumping that temp up to 275-300 though.. in your case it may just mean doing everything the same.. just start with a few more lit coals..

The best way to tell it's done is if the bone wiggles freely or if it is probe tender. But for a first time cook, 195* is a pretty common temp for butts to be done.

Sometimes smaller sized buts take longer that the estimated 1.5 hrs per pound (at 225-250), sometimes they don't.

Once IT hits 195, check for probe tenderness. If it slides in like butter, it's done. Take off and wrap/rest.

One of the most forgiving things to smoke and one of the best. Don't forget to use plenty of rub if you like a tasty bark. I used to go by temp...now I still check temp...but check to see if bone wiggles free. Wrap in foil and in cooler for a couple hours.

Enjoy

BBQ RULES FOR SUCCESS

YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS BY COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMPERATURE OR BY TIME ( XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL! For Brisket it must pass the poke test(probe like soft butter in the thickest part of the Flat) Ribs pass the Bend Test, Pork Butts when the bone wiggles loose. These are the only reliable methods to ensure that your cook will be a success. There is one exception to these rules and that is Poultry which must achieve and internal temp of 170 deg in the thickest part of the thigh and 165 in the breast.

Back