• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

BBQ Brethren "Cheesesteak - The Philly Way" Throwdown!

Great looking Spam Philly Paulie! :thumb:

A Sphilly, now there's an idea. :rolleyes:

Well Sir, That is just off the hook! I really loved the shot showing the Proper Aplication of the Mighty Themapen too!

Philly On Brother! :thumb:

Thanks Toast, I normally wont use a thermapen on a steak just feel but I wanted to show that the Rib eye wasn't murdered.But I will say (off the record of course, I would never say this in public) that the recent spree of rid eye murders in this thread are justifiable homicide, again thats off the record. :thumb:

Thanks Toast, I normally wont use a thermapen on a steak just feel but I wanted to show that the Rib eye wasn't murdered.But I will say (off the record of course, I would never say this in public) that the recent spree of rid eye murders in this thread are justifiable homicide, again thats off the record. :thumb:

Excellent point. It has concerned me that this thread could cause rib eye murdering to the point of genocide. I'm glad so far this is not the case!

Cheers!

Bill

whAT!

Two whole days I've been away, and not a single post...:drama:

I hope somone else has done a cheese steak?? Surely the entire world has not run out of Cheese Whiz???:wink:

I'm sure there a couple lurkers out there who will submit before the deadline, but I don't like to be called Shirley... :tsk:

To be honest, I'd always thought Cheez Whiz was the Philly way. I've talked this over with a workmate of mine who grew up just a few blocks from Geno's who told me that's the only way to have a Philly Cheesesteak. I've been corrected here, but I did consult the authoritative Wikipedia :roll: on the matter. They said that they can be made with Cheez Whiz, American, or provolone :shock:; however, they also did note that "Cheez Whiz is 'overwhelmingly the favorite' at Pat's, outselling runner-up American by a ratio of eight or ten to one, while Geno's claims to go through eight to ten cases of Cheez Whiz a day." :shock: It isn't even mentioned what provolone gets, but presumably that is in the noise. Personally, I can't stand Cheez Whiz, so I was looking for any excuse to use another cheese. I really don't think American or provolone are recognizable as being in the "Philly way" since they represent roughly 10% of the Philly cheesesteaks, so I picked the most obvious contender :becky:

IMG_5977_zpsf3fee3d7.jpg

Of course, that Philadelphia cheese needed something for a kick, and that is that small package of Spanish bleu cheese in the upper right corner of the picture. Together, they made a tasty bleu-cheese sauce:

IMG_5980_zpsdf5cdb2c.jpg

The next step was the bun. I heard CD wax poetic about Amaroso rolls and how a Philly Cheesesteak is not a Philly Cheesesteak unless it has these rolls. Well, fark, I cannot get any Amaroso buns, and since nothing else will do, I'll just make a Philly Cheesesteak (sans bun). So, that basically left me with this:

IMG_5982_zpsfca09ba8.jpg

I must admit that it tasted better than the ones I've had in Philly. :becky:

Last edited:
Well, Gore may not like Cheez Whiz, but as a matter of fact, I don't think he's ever had it, as he thought it came out of a can! That's Easy Cheese, close but not the real deal, which is actually why I entered this throwdown. You see, he asked me if it would be possible to get cheese to come out of my steel whipped-cream dispenser, you know, the kind with the CO2 chargers, and I started thinking it through and when I finally thought to ask him why he mentioned that he needed Cheez Whiz for this sandwich. And that's when we made the distinction between the two. Now I try to avoid eating plastic whenever possible, so when there is a healthy alternative, I make my own. Cheez Whiz is pretty straightforward. It can be made with real cheese, like a colby, in this case, grated really finely. Now I'm not a hater. I grew up with all sorts of cheese-like products in the house: Velveeta, American, Squeeze Cheese, Easy cheese and of course Cheez Whiz. My Dad liked cheese, you see, and he liked it with lots of things. He would always grab a wedge of cheese with his apple pie, but if that wasn't available on more then one occasion he would have it with a scoop of Cheez whiz. He also tried to eat a pot holder once, so he may not be the best one to look to for culinary insight. In any case, I start out with some real colby cheese, finely grated.

IMG_5971_zps8378999c.jpg

I melted this into evaporated milk:

IMG_5974_zpsf29cc9cc.jpg

Some recipes call for eggs, but this has a great consistency all by itself, as you'll see. While you're at it, you might like to jazz it up a bit with some sriracha. I added a few doses until the taste was nice.

IMG_5975_zpse23a91c0.jpg

I wasn't going to do with some store-bought roll, so I made some Italian-style buns:

IMG_5970_zps37936c18.jpg

IMG_5973_zpsa9bd2a86.jpg

and I sauteed some onions and red peppers:

IMG_5978_zpsba879c69.jpg

Of course I also had some steaks. This is the real dilemma because the standard Philly steak sandwich is made on a griddle and we are required to smoke or grill. Since this is our interpretation, I went with grilling ... and I wasn't going to ruin the ribeyes, so I cooked to medium rare:

IMG_5981_zpsbc06a58b.jpg

It was then just a matter of putting that sandwich together. I sliced the bun down the middle and added a layer of homemade Cheez Whiz to keep the bread from soggying up, even homemade Cheez Whiz acts like an impenetrable shield:

IMG_5988_zps99bb627e.jpg

added a layer of meat,

IMG_5993_zps36ab66f9.jpg

then a layer of onions and peppers,

IMG_5995_zps6a7b3259.jpg

and finally topped it with more cheese:

IMG_5996_zpsb171d36d.jpg

Now doesn't that look like the perfect cheese spread, and this tastes like real cheese too!

IMG_6012_zpsf0bd8506.jpg

(Chris, you can use that picture). I only wish I had ever had a real Philly Cheese steak sandwich to know if it tasted like one. If it tastes anything like mine I would Shirley have another.

Thanks for looking!

Sneaking in under the wire with my entry. First time in a throwdown...be gentle with me.

Here's a thread with some background on our sandwich:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2222910#post2222910

Used to cook a philly-style sandwich for a living. Kind of miss the "good old days" when I got to eat these for lunch on a daily basis.

We've combined the philly style sandwich with my sons B.O.M.B. (beef, onion, mushroom, bacon) burger that has brought him much Kid's Q glory.

Here's the short version. Started with some eye round over oak and cherry, seasoned with montreal steak, cooked on the mini:
013_zpsbbe2d4e9.jpg

Cooked, rested, halved, and on to the slicer:
029_zps2d6116f2.jpg

032_zps60bf6ff2.jpg

043_zps67511b44.jpg

On the griddle with some onions. Bun was buttered, garlic seasoned, toasted:
197_zps80e07bdd.jpg

Mushroom/beef stock combo for the base of the sandwich.
187_zpsc327d838.jpg

Garlic bun, beefy mushroom goodness, grilled beef/onions, provolone, bacon, more onions, sauce...soon to be topped by other half of bun
209_zps2385c9c6.jpg

(this will be our entry photo)
211_zpsef522556.jpg

Some good stuff!! Will be making this again for sure!! It's the B.O.M.B. :becky:
100_zps2130ba37.jpg

I think bigabyte may be having poll disfunction issues. He can't seem to erect a single poll today. Where is Ginger when we need her?

CD

I'm working as hard and fast as I can!

I swear I'll get my poll up even if it kills me!

Fark!

Don't any of you EVER get satisfied?

You need another polling already?

You're not even finished with your first poll yet!!

For fark sakes!!!

Fark!

Don't any of you EVER get satisfied?

You need another polling already?

You're not even finished with your first poll yet!!

For fark sakes!!!

After that last poll, there is definitely proof that size doesn't matter. Have you considered working on your technique?

I figured it was from lack of blood flow and he was waiting for another transfusion, that last poll Shirley must have made him light headed.

That Shirley gal must be a real tramp... :tsk:

First she was with ecode and now Biggie. :shocked:

Back