Can you use Pecan nuts(or shells) and/or Acorns to smoke with??

S

Smiter Q

Hi all,

Was just in the yard and my pecan tree has dropped a lot of nuts. It has been a fairly dry summer, so they are not very robust.. and not sure how "good eats" they will be. Was wondering if you can use them to smoke with, and if so how. Just throw the whole nut, pod and all on the coals? Or take out from the pod and throw the nut shell and all on?

Also last weekend my GF and I were walking on a trail, and came across lots of acorns. Can I use them for the same purpose?

If anyone has done this or knows, either way if possible, please let me know.
Thanks, and enjoy the weekend!

First pecans picked up. Not looking too good for eats.
AmandasGrill18130002.jpg

My little Pecan tree:
AmandasGrill18130001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I would make a bunch of pecan bourbon pies! I do not know about the smoke question sorry.

I would make a bunch of pecan bourbon pies! I do not know about the smoke question sorry.

Cracked a few open. The ones that dropped already are kind of mealy. Which is why I am thinking of other uses.
Hoping that there are some that I can make a pie out of that have not dropped yet.

Don't know about acorns, but I have used pecan shells to smoke with many times. I have only used shells--what was left after cracking them open and eating the nut meat.

--frank in Wilson, NY

Pecan shells (not the hulls) are great to smoke with. Acorns will bring you nothing but bitter results in the pit.

Pecan shells have a very nice gentle flavor on beef and pork! Yep smoke them up!

I've also been trying to come up with a good use for all the acorns in my back yard. I have a beautiful giant oak tree that produces millions of the things. I tried to eat one once...terribly bitter. Threw a few on the grill once and they exploded. I guess I'll just leave them for the squirrels.

Acorns + Slingshot + Kid you don't like = .........

Yeah, I was a kid once. And we were mean to one another.....

OK, I am getting the idea that PECAN SHELLS are good, but not the pods.
Can I throw the whole pecan(minus pod) on the fire. With the meat inside?
Again, these are kind of mealy so I won't be eating what has dropped so far.
Rather not shell them, but put whole pecan on.

ACORNS are a flat NO.

Thanks

Acorns + Slingshot + Kid you don't like = .........

Yeah, I was a kid once. And we were mean to one another.....

Sounds like my family as kids we used green chestnuts and would laugh when the sharp points would stick...man we were terible

my suggestion is to start a fire and put some of the pecan shells on it. I don't think you will like the smell of the smoke and would not want to smoke your meat with it. my experience with burning shells with any meat in them and the shuck on the shell gives an undesirable smell to the smoke. On a side note, I live in pecan country and we burn pecan wood by the bulldozer pile. A friend of mine let me get what I wanted and then pushed the rest up into a burn pile and burned it. You should see it when we have a tornado come through and se all of the pecan trees that are bulldozed and burned.

Myfavorite joint- the salt Lick in Texas uses wet pecan shells to control the heat on their oak fired pit.

The shells might work but the meat has a lot of oil in it. Burning oil does not impart a good flavor.

Grab yourself a cheap chicken and see what comes out of the smoker. Worst case, you taught us all a lesson.

Don't know about acorns, but I have used pecan shells to smoke with many times. I have only used shells--what was left after cracking them open and eating the nut meat.

--frank in Wilson, NY

I am not a fan of eating any kind of "nut meat"! :laugh:

Sorry I could not resist.

Whole pecans create an oily smoke that gives a good pecan flavor, sweeter than using pecan wood alone. I typically burn a quart of nuts at a time when they are available in the fall and winter.

Avoid the husks. They will impart a bitter taste.

Ok, I got it on pecans and oaks, but what about Hickorys??? I've got a yard full of these darn trees. Has anyone tried the fore mentioned nut smoking technique using these?

Ok, I got it on pecans and oaks, but what about Hickorys??? I've got a yard full of these darn trees. Has anyone tried the fore mentioned nut smoking technique using these?
@Tattooque - Good question.. hope someone knows this answer.

@EVERYONE ELSE
Thanks for the info. Will try to do sometime in the next week or so with just nuts as smoke additive and will let ya all know.

Back