• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pyrex in the UDS?

caliking

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Howdy farkers.

Smoke is on. Fatty in the morn was beyond fantastic. Just pulled the ribs out. Mac/cheese is cooling. Beer butt chicken skin is crisping. Life is good.:icon_cool

Quick question: is pyrex in the UDS a good idea? Working on my curry throwdown entry and do not want to put it in a aluminium pan if I can help it. less chance of burning if I can use pyrex. I think it should hold up... max temp i'm planning is 325*F.

Your thoughts or experiences are welcome.

Thanks!

Pyrex is not "stove top" safe. I would be hesitant to put pyrex in a UDS especially if it doesn't have some type of heat shield.

Pyrex can explode for a variety of reasons. Personally I wouldn't do it.

At that temp I believe it should be ok. I would put the pyrex in while the smoker is cool if thats an option to be super safe. But there was a thread on here that has me a little timid on pyrex, especially now with a child running in and out of the kitchen.
The second link is in the first but thats the one that really gets me.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77802&highlight=pyrex

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/pyrex.html

With all that said I have never had a problem with pyrex. But you never know.

At that temperature and distance from the flame it should be absolutely fine. The heat transfer from a stove top is infinitely more as the surface temperature is so hot.

I would do it without a doubt, but then again I've not ad the awful experiences with pyrex that some have discussed on here. I use a cast iron dutch oven for things like beans, casseroles and curries on the smoker. My dutch oven is very well seasoned and hardly anything ever sticks to it now. :p

May I suggest you Google "pyrex explosions" and make an educated decision.

There are some factors like how old your Pyrex is. If it's scratched or not. These all need to be considered.

Thanks for all the info.

I remember the recent pyrex explosion threat. I don't think I am that concerned about it exploding. The reported incidents usually involve some sort of thermal shock - hot pyrex + not so hot liquids/hot burner/cool counter etc. Pyrex in a UDS should work much as it does in an oven , right? Plus I was planning on using a pizza pan diffuser.

Cleanup is a whole diferent matter, and probably what deters me. I thought about wrapping the outside in foil, but the inside would likely still get farked up. I think I'll double up on the aluminium pans and set them over a water pan to be sure.

The decision is also easier because I used the pyrex in question to make mac & cheese today, and I'm too lazy to empty it out and wash it!

Back