• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Needed a D*mn good wing recipe

R

Retread

Here is the deal ... my brother and I were Pub hopping in Omaha, NE earlier this summer. While at this cool hole in the wall we decided to order some wings to go with the micro brew we were drinking. Expecting the usual, the platter arrived and we were more than pleasantly surprised, hot off the grill basically dry wings with a great spicy buffalo wing flavor.... wow, d*mn they were good.

We've both been playing with recipes to see if we can find something similar, we've come close but nothing dead on.

I'd appreciate any recipes/techniques that you can contribute to help us with our quest

Thx

I split the wings ..cut the tips off and discard the tips... toss in a bit of oil then rub em down with Dizzy Pig Raging River Rub.
I grill em on a kettle with apple wood chunks..once done its into a foil pan with them and tossed lightly with a mix of melted butter and Pitbull Hot Sauce(ratio of butter to hot sauce to personal tastes.
I foil the pan tightly then throw the pan back on the gril for about 1/2 an hr.
Makes great appetizers

Yelonutz

That's an impressive list of chicken recipes. Thanks for the heads up on that site.

John Henry's "Apple Jerk Chicken Rub"...makes killer wings! :p Still diggin' the avatar bro! :biggrin:

cut tips off and clean,dry, season with salt, white, black, red pepper. Soak in Sirracha chili sauce (little rooster on bottle), mild 8 hours, wild 12 hours, HOT 24 hours. Smoke until done 250, pecan my fav. Glaze at least once with sweet hot bbq sauce(Head Country hot my choice) Since heat is in the meat, each bite intensifies! Won many contests and sold lots of drinks with this one, enjoy, Steve.

I can't say what I do is original. It's been cobbled together from posts on this site, my own experience, and various other resources. That said, here's what I do:

1) prepare the breading: mix equal parts of Frying Magic & Corn Muffin Mix. If you're feeling spicy, add some favorite extra flavors. Dredge wings through to coat and place on a pan.

2) Heat the grill/smoker to low or low/medium low. While it's heating, fix the sauce. I use regular Franks's Hot Sauce & butter. I like flavor, but not a ton of heat so I start with 1 stick of butter to 1/3 cup of Franks. Sometimes I puree some fresh garlic in. Sometimes I put a dash or two of liquid smoke in (Sshh, don't tell anyone here. I might get banned). Adjust proportions to taste.

3) Put the wings on over low/medium low direct heat. Let them cook for 10 to 15 minutes until the coating starts to set up. Then baste with the sauce and then turn and baste again. After that turn and baste every 10 to 15 minutes until done. Serve with extra sauce on the side.

If you do this over direct heat you need to keep a close eye on them because the butter will cause flare ups. They should be done in about 30 to 45 minutes. If you do them indirect at 225 probably 1 1/2 to 2 hours. YMMV.

So far every time I have cooked these I have NEVER had any leftovers. I think it's the sauce. Here are some pics. The first is one tray after they've been prepped. The second is after they're done. I forgot to take a shot after I pulled them off so there was only a little left and they went away quick after that.

Attachments

• Memorial Day BBQ 010.jpg
    Memorial Day BBQ 010.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 625
  • Memorial Day BBQ 017.jpg
    Memorial Day BBQ 017.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 624
bonehead...have you ever fried that recipe (instead of smoking/grilling)? if so, how'd they turn out?

My favorite way is to smoke them with a mild wood til done, then flash fry them for about 60 sec. to crisp them up then serve with sauce on the side.:razz:

A very simple sauce recipe, from Good Eats, is 1 cup of butter (not margerine) and 1/2 cup of hot sauce.

Smoke, grill, or fry up some wings and toss them in this sauce.

Ingredients:
  • 1 bottle Frank's Red Hot Sauce
  • 2 TBSP Margerine
  • 1 TBSP Garlic Wine Vinegar
  • 1 TBSP Honey
  • 1 TBSP Lemon Juice
  • 1/8 TSP Gunpowder Foods Hot Stuff (sub with 1/4 TSP Cayenne)
Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan and heat on low. Stir until all ingredients are mixed.

I divide the wings up, throw the tips away, then deepfry for 5 minutes at 350. I drain very well, put in an aluminum foil pan, and cover with Nando's Peri Peri sauce (garlic or wild herb), then I smoke them until they're 165 degrees. I love them this way. Not much fat from frying, no batter/breading, and no extra butter needed.

John Henry's "Apple Jerk Chicken Rub"...makes killer wings! :p Still diggin' the avatar bro! :biggrin:

yes..just tried a sample packet of it the other day..very good on chicken and has some nice subtle heat

Back