Why are my birds always so black skinned

I am gonna experiment with another rub for sure. I am learning from people here about UDS temps at different zones and I am thinking that when my thermometer was running in the 320-335 range the center temp was about 50 degrees higher according to a member here. That put at least part of my smoking time in the 375 on up range. So I quite possible had too sugary of a rub (I did rub it on generously shake n bake style) combined with too much heat. I will make sure I remember to ad 50 degrees to my thermometer next time for everything I smoke. I now learn that all the ribs I have done have probably been around 300 instead of 225-250. I bet armed with this knowledge now I can get my ribs to fall off the bone more by adding a couple more hours cooking time. Wish I had known this sooner lol.

While all the rubs mentioned in this thread sound very yummy I got to be carefull of the saltiness of them because my favorite injection is plenty of garlic and salt. I don't want to get them too salty.

I use a mango habanero seasoning made by Red Monkey foods on my birds. Its awsome

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-11-30-10-24-15.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-11-30-10-24-15.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 70
To much smoke will make 'em look like coal miners at midnight and to many drippings hitting the fire will too. Turkeys at least every one I ever cooked gave off a plenty of 'em, good reason to do whole birds in a pan.I usually break mine down to white & dark meat( no segregation jokes)since they cook at different rates and finish at different temps.
If you take aawas rub and mix it in a cup or so of mayo and paint it on a dry bird skin it'll make you a buzzard rockstar.
Big birds just catch part of the drippings and let the rest go to the fire....spatch and let the bird ride to 160-165 in the breast ....if you take it out at 160 it'll carry over to 165 and you'll have a perfect bird.

Looks just like my first Turkey i did 30+ years ago on a El cheapo brinkman smoker that i won and had no clue of how to use it.

Instructions called to soak the wood for several hrs. and use about 3 or 4 chunks. I thought that if 3 or 4 chunks of wood is good, (more is better) 10 or 12 pieces should do the trick.

I lined up the family in front of the smoker when we got home from church to take the first peek, it reminded me of a black meteorite. Nut burned up,just as black as shoe polish. Meat was fabulous, the skin however had to be discarded.
I am still being reminded about that one every now and then.
Thank's to this site and my Brethren,the end results are fantastic with everything i cook now.

Looks just like my first Turkey i did 30+ years ago on a El cheapo brinkman smoker that i won and had no clue of how to use it.

Instructions called to soak the wood for several hrs. and use about 3 or 4 chunks. I thought that if 3 or 4 chunks of wood is good, (more is better) 10 or 12 pieces should do the trick.

I lined up the family in front of the smoker when we got home from church to take the first peek, it reminded me of a black meteorite. Nut burned up,just as black as shoe polish. Meat was fabulous, the skin however had to be discarded.
I am still being reminded about that one every now and then.
Thank's to this site and my Brethren,the end results are fantastic with everything i cook now.

Well here's one thing I wonder about. Doesn't charcoal smoke as well? So I mean even if you put no wood chunks in at all won't the kingsford smoke the whole time?

Just curious, was it a self basting turkey? Don't know if it affects smoking a bird but I remember deep frying a self basting turkey one time and it turned out just like you said, done and juicy inside but burnt on the outside

Well here's one thing I wonder about. Doesn't charcoal smoke as well? So I mean even if you put no wood chunks in at all won't the kingsford smoke the whole time?

My family doesn't like too much smoke on there birds ( :twitch::wacko::wacko: ) so I just use charcoal and yes it still smokes enough without overpowering the product.

I have been using cheese cloth on the breast & top of the legs! I then paint it with melted butter! I take it off the last hour of the cook & let it brown out! Also keeps the breast meat juicy! You can do with bacon too! I have done 13 Turkeys that way since 10-30-13. Just sayin!

Attachments

• 007 (4).jpg
    007 (4).jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 31
Done deal! Hope that helped! p.s. I used Butt-Rub inside & out injected with some real butter!

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 28
All these ideas are worth mentioning guys and gals. Thanks a bunch. I can't wait to try some of them.

Back