• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Saiko's virgin briskets

Saiko

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Gonna take the plunge tomorrow and do my first briskets. I figured what the fark, I might as well try two of them plus a pork shoulder. I've suffered enough sleep depriviation this week, so I'm gonna start with 5lb flats from costco. Got em marinating in TK's Dr. Pepper marinade as we speak.
Do any of you use a rub after you marinade, or just plop em in the smoker? I'll keep a running log of my efforts, since I'm a brisket noob and maybe someone will learn from my mistakes.

Hunk-o-meat:

brisket1.jpg

Briskets marinating and pork rubbed:

brisket2.jpg

Never done a brisket.......looks like a lot of meat! What wood you gonna use?

I did some spares today, 3-2-1 method, turned out just as tender as the babybacks.
Also cooked a precooked ham, foiled at 120 and took to 165, it's resting.

Keep us posted as to how it's going! I here TK's marinade is the best!

TK's brisket is good, but I like this better.

Next time you should try slathering the brisket with yellow mustard and then putting the rub on. Wrap it in saran wrap overnight and cook till it's done. That's my favorite.

I use the "wild willy's" rub from the smoke & spice book.

I picked up some nice seasoned cherry wood from a tree guy I discovered in my area today, so I'm a gonna use that.
I've used the same mustard/rub method on my pork shoulders before, I'll have to try that on a brisket next time out. I usually mix some mustard with some dark beer and slather that over everything, then the rub.

You can still rub after you pull it out of the marinade, just pat it dry and rub away. Then smoke away! Put the pork over the briskets so the fat that drips out will mop the top of the briskets.

Alarm at 6:00am, fire started at 6:15.
Meat on at 7:20.

The "It's Still Dark Mod":
brisket3.jpg

Ready to Load
brisket4.jpg

7:20am, Locked and Loaded
brisket5.jpg

The "Rock Mod" in action
brisket6.jpg

Burned Hair Mod:

brisket7.jpg

Other than that, everything going OK. Wood's been kind of a pain in the ass, I think some of it got a good soaking recently.

How'd you manage to singe the forehead? I haven't even done that. I've gotten all the hair on my hands and occaisainnaly my legs, but never my forehead.

I like the idea of adding beer to the mustard. Never would have thought of it.

Been on smoke for 5 hours now. Internal temp on the briskets is 150, and 140 on the shoulders. So far so good.
Gonna foil both whenever they hit 170. I'm rotating and mopping every hour with apple juice and peanut oil.

Dunno how I singed my hair, it must have been when I was blowing on the embers when my fire petered out. Didn't even realize I did it until I came inside.

Ouch! That could have been serious! Of course I don't have to worry about the hair on the front of my head anymore anyway.

Cook sounds like it's going great! Can't wait to see the finished product pictures.

Just pulled the briskets and put them in the cooler wrapped in a towel. Internal temps between 190 and 195. Shoulders still sitting around 165, so they still have a bit to go. Seven hours on the smoke total so far.

Man, you are going to enjoy all of it!!

Looks good -- you stayed patient and let everything get done.

Looking forward to the critique! :D

Burned Hair Mod

LMFAO - good job Saiko. I know it's too late but I have on occasion rubbed the brisket after the marinade pocess. Not sure that it rendered noticeable different results.

OK, I'm officially not a brisket virgin anymore. Not too shabby for the first time out either. I have no idea how it's supposed to taste, but it tastes pretty good to me. The consistency is about like a well done rib, but not falling off the bone tender like pulled pork. Some parts near the edge were a little tough, so I put them aside for brunswick stew.
I also had no friggin clue on how to cut this beast, so I just kind of guessed. I had cut one edge flat to show where the grain was, but it kind of deformed in the smoker so it was hard to tell.
Looking forward to trying one again and see if I can make it better. Overall I'm pleased with the effort though. Now my pulled pork has been in the cooler for over an hour, so I'm about to have a feast. :D

brisket8.jpg

brisket9.jpg

And, last but not least, a boatload of good ol' Georgia Barbeque. Now it's time to pass out.....

brisket10.jpg

Quote: "Some parts near the edge were a little tough, so I put them aside for brunswick stew. "

This might be what called the "burnt ends"

Its the edges of the brisket that get a little dried out. But...they packed CONCENTRATED brisket flavor. Greg and I were dogging those at the judging class.

Congrats Saiko. I have only done about 5 briskets myself (just started last summer). Hardest thing os to remember which way the grain is so you can cut against it. Couple different methods for doing this. Search back in the threads for tips.

Phil cuts a piece of the end before cooking to show him the grain, I sometimes put a toothpick in cross grain.

As you see, they lose 30# of their mass and change shape some.

Suggestions for leftovers: chop up, bbq sauce, on a bun.
Chop slightly, scramble egg, awesome brisket omlet.
Chopped into chili.
Add BBQ sauce to slices, on french roll.
Add to dirty rice, cubed up.

That last pic, I assume its pulled pork. Hmmm.....pork products

Yea, I gotta do a better job of marking where to cut against the grain. I cut a hunk off of each showing where I should slice, but the damn thing took on a whole new shape in the smoker.
And that last picture is pulled pork, but actually I chop it. I use my hands to tear it up into chunks, then chop it fine. For some reason I've always prefered my pork that way.
And in Georgia, any time you say the word "barbeque" you are talking about pulled pork. :D
What's ironic is that after spending all day working on all this stuff, I actually felt sick to my stomach and couldn't enjoy it. I was having a lot of problems early with the fire (I just picked the wood up yesteday and it must have been wet at some point) and had my face in the damn firebox all day. I think I inhaled too much smoke and now I feel like POOPIE.
Oh well, I'll enjoy it more tomorrow anyway.

and had my face in the damn firebox all day.
Do the hairdryer mod. Go to walmart and buy a cheap ass hair dryer to use exclusively for q. Or see if the old lady would like a new one and give up the old ratty one to you. I myself do the leaf blower mod.

What's ironic is that after spending all day working on all this stuff, I actually felt sick to my stomach and couldn't enjoy it. I was having a lot of problems early with the fire (I just picked the wood up yesteday and it must have been wet at some point) and had my face in the damn firebox all day. I think I enhaled too much smoke and now I feel like POOPIE.
Oh well, I'll enjoy it more tomorrow anyway.

48oz. cerveza taken orally as needed during the procedure.

Finding the grain. Give it time. I always lay my briskets the same way so that I know which way the grain runs if I'm in doubt when I pull em (always lay them in the cooler the same way too). It probably has something to do with the cerveza intake during a long smoke, but it works.

Looking back at the first brisket I cooked I'd be VERY proud if it looked as good as yours.

Congrats, and stick with it :D :D :D

Back