Grilled pizza EPIC FAIL !!! pics included

ace27705

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So today I thought lets try grilling a pizza.i got a pizza stone for x mas and have wanted to try it out.So I fired up the weber 22.5 kettle , preheated my stone and dressed my pizza. I ran the grill at 400 and cooked my pizza for about 12 -15 minutes. the dough I used was a premade and I added a little flour to it to get a good consistency, rolled it into a somewhat thin hand tossed crust and put it on the grill. The temp was perfectly at 400.
when I raised the lid BAM !!! it looked great I was very excited !. then when I got it inside the crust was completely burned on the bottom. Not a good stone ? to high temp ? help a man out who now has to order papa johns .

Attachments

• pizza.jpg
    pizza.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 213
  • pizza2.jpg
    pizza2.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 214
  • pizza3.jpg
    pizza3.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 214
I haven't done any pizzas on the kettle but i'd just guess the coals were spread everywhere evenly?

You should look at the pizza kettle...but it's spendy. The coals are banked and the pizza needs to be rotated with that.

If you ever do a UDS you don't even need a stone...with those the pizzas can go right on the grate and the crust comes out perfect.

I've never seen that with my stone or cast iron griddle. Not sure what happened. Did you use a pan as well? Maybe that was an issue.

Not sure on your set up but I have a BGE and we use the platesetter/diffuser then air gap then the stone. I bet with your temp at 400 dome your stone was way too hot.

That's THE problem making pizza- the crust burns before the toppings cook.

Search frankenwebber for the ultimate in kettle pizza!

that looks liek 1 - the stone looks very thin, and 2 - the stone was way to hot.. and 12-15 minutes on a hot stone is a long time..

i do pizza 7-10 mniutes max at 550 and use and IR thermometer to get the stone around 350.

also, in a kettle i put the coals all around the edge in 2-3 layers with just a few directly underneath..

if what your using is one of those Bed bath and beyond ...... thin stones, they are more for ovens.... i think you need a heavier stone in the kettles.

Attachments

• IMG00030-20091214-1724.jpg
    IMG00030-20091214-1724.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 153
That exact thing happened to me when I cooked pizza straight on the plate setter. We hadn't done pizzas in a while and I forgot to set it up properly - with an air gap then the pizza stone. To create the air gap I use the feet that came with the Egg.

DSC_0055.jpg

EDIT - ^^^^ Is a pizza recipe I got from PooBah

I am missing some information here, but here is what I do and have success with on my kettle. I bank the coals to one side, it doesn't take a whole lot to get one pizza done, half a Weber chimney or so. I then put the stone in and place the lid so that the vents are opposite the coals. I don't pay a whole lot of attention to temperature but generally I hit about 400 to 450 on my dome gage, which is a Tel Tru replacement, not the stock Weber. I generally rotate the pizza once, in the middle of the cook, by rotating the cooking grate which spins pretty easily.

Back