• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Brisket Flat ,Flat question

Titch

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Got a full Brisket from costco and it has a thin Flat, thinnest I have seen.
Now, as a person who does not Chase bark, could I fold the flat over on itself to stop it Overshooting or should I trim it Off?

could have ground it up for a burger :) , I would have folded but cutntuck will work the same way. Seen $65 for a few yesterday and thought I'd like to grind for burgers but not at that price per lbs

could have ground it up for a burger :) , I would have folded but cutntuck will work the same way. Seen $65 for a few yesterday and thought I'd like to grind for burgers but not at that price per lbs

Thanks mike, i have enough in the freezer to grind
Mine cost 70 au, was about 8klg, 16lb

I am starting to see more and more of these super thin flats. Would love to see and hear how it comes out!

It is getting hard to find a packer with a good flat. If there are none on display I ask the butchers if they have more in the back.

I'm not an expert on meat cutting - is there a more expensive cut that butchers are slimming the flat down to get more of?

Last edited:
Titch we get piles of those thin flats in the catering business when we open up cases of packers, our solution with a cooker full of them is to keep an eye on the IT* of the thin flat end and wrap about 1/3 of it in foil once it reaches 140*.

From there you can finish it any way you like but it preserves the quality of the thin areas keeping it moist and tender.

It is getting hard to find a packer with a good flat. If there are none on display I ask the butchers if they have more in the back.

I'm not an expert on meat cutting - is there a more expensive cut that butchers are slimming the flat down to get more of?

I still see about the same mix of thin and thick flats at Sam's/Costo....for every one wide thick flat there are 3 or 4 thin ones. Seems about the way it's always been in my neck of the woods. If there's only 5 or 6 in the bin you might not find a good one, but when they're well stocked I can usually find a couple I like.

I have been getting competition briskets from a local meat wholesaler and have been getting nice flats. This is our brisket from a couple of weeks ago. It is sitting in a hotel pan for reference.

IMG-5275.jpg

Interesting read. I’ve been seeing a rash of thin flat packers too. I either select the best in the cast or more often than not just wait for a better packer. Maybe I’ll try this tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back