• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Sand in WSM

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hi,

What can I expect in a switch over to using sand in the waterpan for the WSM?

I understand that the temp will rise quicker and that you will use less fuel (to go along w/ ease of cleaning and a lack of a need to refill the pan halfway through a cook). Is that accurate? Anything else I should look out for?

Eric

With sand, it will be very hard to correct any downswing in temp control. Why do you think you need sand to control temps in the WSM?

With sand, it will be very hard to correct any downswing in temp control. Why do you think you need sand to control temps in the WSM?

I did my first sand cook yesterday and I had that issue but I guess if you're use to it it will work.

Sand is my preferred method for all of the reasons mentioned in the original post.

Water drains a lot of energy during the cook that is otherwise focused on the meat with sand in the pan. There is more than enough humidity without water. Adding aromatics to the water does nothing to benefit the meat IMO.

I use gravel over sand... Works pretty good.

Cheers

I've been using sand since I got my WSM's and love it. I use lump charcoal and get quick response times both heating up and cooling down. With briquettes it can be a real bear to bring the temps down. It makes for easy cleanup. Have never felt a need to change up this method it works so well for me.

I just foil the water pan with about 3 layers of foil (fold the seems together to prevent grease from leaking into the pan).

when using sand, how much sand? fill the waterpan? halfway?

is it necessary for the sand to be bone dry? I have a bag of playground sand that I purchased to use in the waterpan but it's gotten condensation in the bag....

i agree with sand or anything but water. its too much a pain to clean or foil in advance. and half the time when i fill up the water when its gone, it ends up just getting under my foil job.

now making a hard foil pan that fits exactly in the wsm water pan, now thats an invention waiting to happen. who wants to help me develop that?

I use about 3" of sand. Clean up is a breeze and temp control hasn't been a problem. It does seem to run a tad hotter but it's easily adjusted by closing the botton two vents and the third vent I open it just a crack.

when using sand, how much sand? fill the waterpan? halfway?

is it necessary for the sand to be bone dry? I have a bag of playground sand that I purchased to use in the waterpan but it's gotten condensation in the bag....

doesn't need to be bone dry. Plenty of condensation during the cook anyway.

I use the Brinkmann Charcoal Pan instead of the pan that came with the WSM (I think newer WSM's have deeper pans though). I fill mine halfway with sand to give plenty of room to catch drippings, yet also have plenty of sand to even out those temps.

Does the steam help add more smoke to the meat?

No the steam does not. Some feel the steam helps keep the meat moist. I don't think it plays that big of role, the water is simply a heatsink same as sand, clay pots, gravel, etc.

Back