• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Venison, Jah Love Jerk chicken wings, 2.5" bone in chops...

Smoking Westy

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Things have been crazy and I haven't been on here much but that hasn't stopped me from doing a few good cooks over the last week or so.

First up - 2 1/2" bone in chops from the hog we butchered. These were hit with Meat Church's Honey Hog (dang this stuff is good).

The same night I cooked up some venison backstrap for myself. I rubbed it down with Oakridge's Carne Crosta and a little hot pepper blend from the Spice House (tellicherry & cayenne mix).

Love the crust that Carne Crosta makes...

Nailed it.

Friday night I did a prime bacon wrapped filet. For this cook I used the Spice House's "Back of the Yard" rub - it course pepper, salt, shallots, garlic, etc. Really good tasting rub.

Finally tonight I tried out Oakridge's Jah Love Jamaican Jerk rub. I followed the directions and made a paste, gave the wings an overnight sit with the mixture on there and grilled them tonight on the kamado. This stuff is really good. Great flavor, great heat that builds but isn't overpowering. Love it.

Good Lord... you've had some delicious looking food over at your place. (Nice pics, too!)

Those chops are THICK!

Thanks everyone!

Hey Norm and blue tang - the knife is called a Lil Ness and is made by Allen Surls (W.A. Surls is the brand). Allen is an apprentice under Andy Roy at Fiddleback Forge (another amazing knife maker).

A2 steel, navy burlap handle scales over black and white liners - awesome little knife.

I agree, very nice knife!

Everything looks great including the knife, I have to pick up some of that jerk chicken rub

Dang brother you're knocking it outta the park off both sides of the bat! Killer meat party there! I gotta call an interstate beer foul though; thought New Glarus only sold on my side of the line! Cow is a GREAT summer sipper, eh ? ;)

Dang brother you're knocking it outta the park off both sides of the bat! Killer meat party there! I gotta call an interstate beer foul though; thought New Glarus only sold on my side of the line! Cow is a GREAT summer sipper, eh ? ;)

Thanks man! It would be a lot easier if New Glarus sold outside of Wisconsin. I have to break through the cheddar curtain everyone once in a while to get my hands on it. I grew up in southern Wisconsin not far from New Glarus of that is any constellation...lol.

The flavor in the new Oakridge jerk seasoning is good but it's too hot...and I like spicy foods.

Back