Babybacks vs. St. Louis cut spares - a side by side cook and taste test

Doesn't get any better than that!

Should make this thread a sticky...the comparison question comes up so often.

I have to say both of those racks look awesome and the side by side was a great comparison. I love both but if I have a choice I do the spares over the bb's for the taste.

I bet this was a tortuous study to be a part of.

Question (could be the noob in me) why did you give the Spares a 45 min head start?

I'll hang up and listen ...

Beautiful, and what was in that secret glaze recipe? :wink:

It wouldn't be a secret if I told all, but I will give you some of the more unusual ingredients that I think worked out very well:

Demerara Sugar
Concentrated Pomegranate Juice
White Balsamic Vinegar
Ground Allspice

I bet this was a tortuous study to be a part of.

Question (could be the noob in me) why did you give the Spares a 45 min head start?

I'll hang up and listen ...

Because they're meatier and have more fat to render, spares take more time to cook to tenderness, usually about an hour more. These were not really thick spares, and the BB's were nice and meaty, so 45 minutes felt right. In fact, the babybacks were still done about 5 or 10 minutes before the spares (as determined by the toothpick test)

These were not really thick spares, and the BB's were nice and meaty, so 45 minutes felt right. In fact, the babybacks were still done about 5 or 10 minutes before the spares (as determined by the toothpick test)

Would you mind explaining the toothpick test. I have done spares twice now...1st time 3-2-1...overcooked.. good but fell off the bone. 2nd time no foil and still over cooked..just not as bad. I know I need to watch them closer and was planing on checking with the bend test..but didn't check soon enough.

Would you mind explaining the toothpick test. I have done spares twice now...1st time 3-2-1...overcooked.. good but fell off the bone. 2nd time no foil and still over cooked..just not as bad. I know I need to watch them closer and was planing on checking with the bend test..but didn't check soon enough.

Poke a toothpick into the meat between the bones. If there's resistance, they're not done. As soon as it slides in easily, you're all set. After you've tried it a couple of times, you'll know exactly what it feels like.

Those both are great. I for one enjoy the spares the most but would never throw rock at baby backs.:-D

Dayum, that looks tasty. I prefer spares, too, both for flavor and the fact that they're meatier.

What's your cooking temp?

Outstanding as usual! Is there a difference in taste when you use "real" butter vs. squeezable parkay?

Dayum, that looks tasty. I prefer spares, too, both for flavor and the fact that they're meatier.

What's your cooking temp?

I cooked these at 250, see why below.

Outstanding as usual! Is there a difference in taste when you use "real" butter vs. squeezable parkay?

I didn't notice a difference. I usually use Parkay, but I didn't have any in the house. I was a little concerned that the butter might burn, that's why I cooked at 250 instead of my usual 275. There was no evidence of burning that I could see or taste. I will use this method again.

Back