View Single Post
Old 01-29-2017, 09:24 AM   #9
rikun
Full Fledged Farker

Well damn you guys

It wasn't bad, but I did declare that a semi-failure by my own standards. I've done a few amazing briskets, few good ones, and a lot like this one (or worse).
But, I have to say, it looks better on video than it really was. Wasn't chewy at all, but lacked the gelatinous taste. And we compete, so I need to get my consistency down

If it indeed was undercooked then I'm really baffled. I've pulled many briskets with much more resistance when probing, and they were clearly overcooked.
Hmm. This actually felt like the probe just sank in there without any feeling, it was more tender than a typical pork butt when done.

It was held in a cooler for a few hours. One thing I've been thinking about lately is holding vs resting.

In my experience brisket (and all meat) will tighten up when cooled down, so I'm wondering are some guys cooking briskets to the edge of being overcooked and rely on rest to bring the tenderness a few notches down?

I usually just hold my briskets for a while, of course the IT will drop a bit, but not to the 150-160's. I guess I need to cook two similar flats and test this.
If I wait until a brisket "feels like butter", it's going to be overcooked according to my tactical sense of butter. But how about doing that and then holding until the temp falls. Hmm.

I am picky about the correct texture and doneness of a brisket, for sure, but I think correct doneness does at least 80% of the taste also.