• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Team Moo Mouton

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nikinik

Hey! I'm new to the forum...hell...I'm new to BBQ!

My husband makes some really incredible BBQ sauce that he wants to bottle and sell. We figured...what better way to get the word out about his sauce, than by entering BBQ competitions.

We bought a $37 Brinkman smoker and cooked some chicken on it a few times and it came out really good.

We heard about a BBQ competition only an hour from our house (Smokin' Blues & BBQ Challenge in Hammond)...so the day before the event we decided to enter it. We had to turn in chicken and ribs...and we'd never even cooked ribs on a smoker before.

There were 61 teams in the compeition and many of them had huge rigs and matching t-shirts and what not. We just kept reminding ourselves....it's not the size of your rig, but the taste of your meat.

It came time to announce the winners. As they were calling out the place finishers for chicken....10th, 9th, 8th, 7th...the lower they got, the more we realized we weren't going to take a place. Then they got to 1st place chicken....Team Moo Mouton! We were shocked and ecstatic. Our chicken beat out 60 teams and this was our first competition! Next it was ribs..10th, 9th...8th place ribs...Team Moo Mouton. Again we were shocked. I think if the other teams knew that what we turned in was our first ever ribs cooked on a smoker they would be shocked too! Then it was time to announce the Grand Champion...yep, you guessed it...Team Moo Mouton!!!!

We are now, of course, hooked on BBQ competitions!

2665_74444689480_855414480_1446179_7380585_n.jpg

Welcome and congratulations on winning the Backyard Boogie first time out! There is no going back now. :biggrin:

Did you have to use KCBS rules for your turn in boxes? Love to see some pictures of them.

Congrats on your first GC!

Welcome to the forum niknik.

Just joined myself... Congrats on the great showing. :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back