View Single Post
Old 02-26-2011, 12:31 AM   #60
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Here is my humble entry into this fun Throwdown. I had family come into town today, so it gave me a great reason to Q and eat. I smoked up the brisket that Brethren R2Egg2Q (John) was kind enough to snag for me at a great price.

With that I made us some BBQ beans based on a recipe posted by patiodaddio and modified a bit.

And while the beans were on the BGE in my Dutch Oven, there was extra space for a few MOINK balls to just slip in there...

I included the following awesome brethren products.

Brisket
Plowboy's Bovine Bold followed with Simply Marvelous Sweet and Spicy when I separated the point from the flat.
BigButz Original BBQ sauce was added to the burnt tips
BigButz Hot, Cranberry and Original were on the table when the food was put out. They devoured the Original and had lots of questions like....where did you get this??? Personally, I'm kinda fond of the Cranberry cause of its cute label.

MOINKs
Simply Marvelous Cherry rub
Big Butz Original BBQ sauce
They were cooked on the ever so awesome Frogmats. I don't know how i ever cooked without them.

I purchased the most of the rubs and one of the BBQ sauces from
GreenLeaf BBQ in Livermore. Great store, great people

BBQ Beans
I normally would have added more Ketchup and Honey but reduced those portions and substituted BigButz Hot BBQ sauce. I made a huge pot of beans and they were almost all gone. Putting some of the cooked point meat in the beans and cooking in the Dutch oven for about 2 hours made this one nice eat.

Rubbed and ready

The folded brisket

Pulled after 11-1/2 hours

Getting ready to slather some of the tips

The bean fixin's

One happy family!!

Plated brisket with the remains of the MOINKs and burnt tips

This was the first packer I had ever cooked, but I have gotten great advice from the Brethren. It came out great and 9 pounds are gone.

The real surprise was the beans. They were over the top. I think cooking them on the BGE and Tom's Big Butz BBQ sauce addition did it.

Thanks so much for looking.

John, I don't know which picture to use. Too much food! AAAAGH!

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->