How much meat to cook

tmurphy1111

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Hello, first post here.

I started a small BBQ cooking team and we want to compete in the "hometown" portion of a KCBS sanctioned event in June to get the feel for how things go in competition.

My question is, how much meat do you actually cook and how much do you turn in to be judged ?

If things go well and we actually enjoy competing, we will enter a sanctioned event in the future.

Thanks

For a rib entry with a blind box, you'll want to cook a minimum of 2 racks of ribs, probably 3 racks, possibly 4.

For a chicken entry with a blind box, you'll want to cook at least twice what you'll put in the box, so at a minimum 12 pieces; most cook 16 to 20 pieces.

Brisket, for a blind box, cook a minimum of 1 but most cook 2 flats or whole packers.

Butts, for a blind box, minimum of 2. Some just cook the 2, others cook 3 or 4.

i cook 20 thighs 3 slabs of ribs 2 pork butts and one brisket. but when i first started i cooked 2 briskets 4 butt and 6 slabs. once i figured out a few things and felt more confortable with my turnins then i scaled back a bit. good luck

12 thighs, 3 ribs, 2 butts, and 1 brisket. That is also the package size i receive when purchasing the meat.

12 thighs, 2-3 racks, 1 butt and 1 brisket is what we cook.

For a normal KCBS comp we do 4 rack of ribs, 16 thighs, two butts and two briskets.

But, is your "hometown" comp all four meats or is it just one or two?

we cook a lot more than we need to. 4 pork shoulders, 2 full packers, 4-6 racks of ribs and a few dozen chicken pieces. We do invite a ton of friends and family to come and help eat/clean up/ watch the awards so none goes to waste, we're also sponsored by our local butcher. So that takes a little of the burden off of our shoulders.

Thanks for all the input. Yes, the "hometown"comp. is just ribs and chicken , however, we are gonna do a couple of party practice runs and cook all the meats as if it were a comp. have some friends and family over to eatand have some fun too !

Back