Salted Caramels

Looks and sounds delicious, Dom! Thanks for posting!
I used to make bacon brittle that was pretty tasty. I need to get back into candy making.
Hope you and family have a wonderful holiday season! :grin:

Hell yeah Dom!

You're threads are always unique and very inspiring! Just Killer!

You are on a roll, lunchman. I am doing the keto thing these days and really feel that keto soft caramel might be the ticket. I have done keto toffee but swerve doesn’t harden like real sugar, this might just work. To be continued.

Divinity is another similar one that is fun to make. After I left home, I bought a candy thermometer just so I could make Christmas Divinity.

I had to look this one up, then realized what it was. I've only had it once or twice, sounds like fun.

Chef Tom from atbbq.com recently posted Pecan Pralines, which may be next on my list. Never made them, but I'm game.

It's a fun time of the year in the kitchen.

Divinity is another similar one that is fun to make. After I left home, I bought a candy thermometer just so I could make Christmas Divinity.

My 95 yo Aunt still makes it every Christmas! It must be called "Divinity" because that stuff,made right,is DIVINE!

As promised, another variant on Christmas candy making. Only this time it's Buttery Peanut Brittle. The recipe is from a Land O Lakes website as it calls for LOL Butter, but I don't have the URL since I'm working from a recipe I printed a few years ago.

Very similar to the caramels, but differences in ingredient amounts, including 2 sticks of butter -

Start with Sugar, Corn Syrup and Water -

Stir occasionally, bring to a boil -

Add in the butter, then stir for 15-20 minutes to a temp of 280 F.

At that point add in the peanuts. The recipe calls for raw Spanish Peanuts, but I just buy a can of Spanish Peanuts. I've never bothered looking for raw peanuts -

And continuously stir another 10-15 minutes until the temp reaches 305.

At 305, remove it from the heat and add in the Baking Soda. It foams a little bit, but the change in color and consistency is what's noticeable -

Pour the mixture out onto two parchment lined and lightly greased baking sheets -

And let it cool for 15-20 minutes on the counter, after which it'll solidify and be ready for breaking. I usually just drop the pan on the counter and then break it into even smaller pieces by hand. I should probably pay more attention to peanut distribution when pouring, but hey, it's homemade candy! You get what you get. :mrgreen: -

Close up -

Place into an airtight container and get ready to enjoy. Most of this batch will be given as gifts.

Again, thanks for reading through this post. Any questions, let me know.

And as expected, homemade Peanut Brittle beats the heck out of anything you can buy in a store.

As with the caramels, it's a bit of work but definitely worth it.

Regards,
-Dom

There is nothing better at Christmas time than home made candies.Properly cooked peanut brittle is definitely in the top tier.Thank you for the inspiration and recipes.

The name probably comes from or, is related to, the season. Mom only made it during the Christmas season. One of many reasons to look forward to Christmas as a young adult!

Peanut Brittle was my father's favorite during the cold part of the year. I never really got into it too much but, it was a good warm-up for Divinity closer to Christmas.

Asking somebody to make caramels for them if they pay for the ingredients is like asking somebody for a helicopter ride if they pay for the gas.

Asking somebody to make caramels for them if they pay for the ingredients is like asking somebody for a helicopter ride if they pay for the gas.

I should clarify that he wanted about 400 caramels to give as gifts to his friends as he thought these were the best he'd ever had and wanted to share. Since he's a dear friend, he's among the recipients of my candy making this year, as in years past. He often reciprocates with a bottle of good Tequila. :grin:

Edit: I missed the gist of your comment and should clarify further. I told him I'd only charge for the ingredients but he insisted on me including my labor, which I did.

As with grilling and cooking, it's a fun pastime and the rewards are worth the effort. Mrs lunchman and I are doing our utmost to stay clear of the temptation for sampling and keep reminding ourselves that these are gifts for friends and family.

Last edited:
Round Three - Smoked Pecan Pralines

Having seen Chef Tom's recent atbbq.com video re: Smoked Pralines, I was determined to give this a try. I thought at first I'd use a saucepan and forego the Lodge CI Skillet, but went with his recommendation to use one. Worked perfectly, and since this skillet is extremely well seasoned from years of use, cleanup was a breeze.

This candy making episode ACTUALLY makes use of one of the grills, namely the Weber Kettle to lightly smoke and toast the pecans. Out onto the Kettle they go at around 200-225 for 20-30 minutes -

The rest of the ingredients. Any recipe that includes Bourbon is a hit in my book! -

Combine the Brown Sugar, White Sugar, Turbinado Sugar and Heavy Cream in the Lodge CI Skillet -

While it's heating, stir occasionally -

Until it reaches a temp of 235 -

Add in the Butter and Bourbon, then as soon as the Butter melts add the Pecans -

Drop 2-3 tablespoons onto a parchment lined baking sheet -

Two trays of Pralines -

Although the printed recipe fails to mention this, sprinkle with Smoked Salt -

Let 'em set up. I put the trays out in my cold garage to assist with set up, then had a heck of a time getting them to release from the parchment -

Looking as if this is a bit of a failure (sigh) -

However, had I waited another 5 to 10 minutes and not been in such a hurry to see how they turned out... I was rewarded with some perfectly set up Pralines from the second tray -

They're firm when bitten into and quite creamy. So I'd say this candy making session was a success!

These were a lot easier to make than caramels. One pan, not a ton of stirring, one temperature to watch for.

I went back out to the garage to check pan #1, the Pralines firmed up and released easily from the parchment. Whew!

Honestly, I don't recall ever having Pralines, but these are a winner. Give these a try. They're easy to make and worth the effort.

As always, thanks for checking out this post!

Regards.
-Dom

The name probably comes from or, is related to, the season. Mom only made it during the Christmas season. One of many reasons to look forward to Christmas as a young adult!

Peanut Brittle was my father's favorite during the cold part of the year. I never really got into it too much but, it was a good warm-up for Divinity closer to Christmas.

My Aunt said that it is only made in the Wintertime down here because of the humidity.I have no idea.

Great posts and recipes, thanks for sharing.

Those caramels in your 1st post, but sprinkled with bacon bits, that needs to be tested!

I think since the news is covered up with listeria-e choli-salmonellosis etc etc cautionary alerts from Fruits and veggies it’s time to “break bad” and cook some Christmas candy. My Bride used to make divinity and a pecan fudge with native pecan and black walnut pieces. Photographs & Memories
Looks grand. Thanks for posting

Last edited:
Do you think replacing that with Vanilla Bean moonshine or a Bourbon would work?

Probably, only one way to find out! :mrgreen:

I've noticed in a number of atbbq videos that bourbon is often used in place of vanilla extract (as in Chef Tom's Praline recipe). Most recipes I looked at while researching the problem I had with them setting up used vanilla.

From what I've found I should have stirred them a bit more to stiffen the mixture up when the first few spread out too much on the parchment. First time praline maker, novice mistake.

I'm off to mail out my first batch of caramels, peanut brittle and pralines and will stop by a specialty store to check out their stock of vanilla bean. More caramels are on the agenda.

Outstanding!!
I make different fudges every year for Christmas gifts.....I think I'll be changing it up this year! Thanks for the inspiration!

My grandfather owned a candy factory where he handmade many types of candy. I only have a few memories of it as he closed the factory when I was young. My dad of course spent a lot of time making candy but all he makes these days is peanut brittle. It's fun to watch him make it with no thermometer, adding ingredients and pulling from the heat based on how it looks and smells.

I'll be trying out your caramels recipe for sure this year. I have an english toffee recipe that I make for Christmas that will go well with some salted caramels!

Back