Unfailing A Fail Cook--Lamb Shanks Turned Into Lamb Pot Pie

ssv3

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Ended up sleeping through the initial cook and my shanks braised for about an extra 4 hours than intended :laugh: Long story short, it was supposed to be a par cook until the next day but I had company. So... by the time company left I had a late start and fell asleep through the braising process. A little too long. :laugh:

So a rewind prior to the mishap, starting with some nice lamb shanks

dW1phPrh.jpg

OTOvw6Gh.jpg

Fresh rosemary, oregano and thyme

5HqnhKsh.jpg

And some other goodies

Lb5dWVvh.jpg

Browned the shanks first

orjpSInh.jpg

Left with all this lamb goodness

EoTAyHTh.jpg

Onions, carrots and celery

UZmgxqyh.jpg

Beer, wine and aromatics

tBnksJgh.jpg

This was where I was supposed to only go for about an hour and a half but fell asleep :sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep:

QDGvqj1h.jpg

NEXT DAY

Luckily there was enough fat that the meat didn't burn so I salvaged this :clap2::clap2:

dzTYiauh.jpg

Not wanting it to cook anymore than it already did I sous vide-d it

3bOfVEuh.jpg

So it was pretty much rinse and repeat from the night before

t9PvHpDh.jpg

Cooked only with beer this time

T9uop4ph.jpg

What it was looking like :clap2::clap2:

9ACqOjgh.jpg

Loaded into individual clay pots

GgiXbyMh.jpg

Not the prettiest but topped with pastry dough and into the oven

9bpQMfYh.jpg

About 25 minutes

WEHTBh9h.jpg

Yea buddy! :becky::clap2: Looking and smelling insane

UmM32KKh.jpg

Served with a tequila shot each

IhHkQARh.jpg

Beats a chicken pot pie any time. I'd tell you that much

vEnGFoch.jpg

rmziF6vh.jpg

Did I say it was good??

TuevKYih.jpg

Thanks for looking!!!

Call it a fail if you want but I call it a win, I'd be all up on that!

Salvaging a potentially failed cook is what separates the boys from the men :thumb: nicely done

Looks like what you had planned all along. Never know it was a salvaged fail. I'd take it over a chicken pot pie anytime.

Nice save, if that's what you want to call it. I think in the back of your mind that is what you had planned the entire time. Lol. Looks great, Sako. I would love a bowl of that.

Wow! That looks insanely good. All of my fails turn into mystery taco meat. I actually have a boneless leg of lamb fail project that was cooked a couple weeks ago in the freezer waiting for the taco process. I may have to switch it up after seeing your results.

That's a serious comfort meal! Looks delicious, Neighbor! :-D

Nice save for sure!

That there is a triple cooked lamb pot pie! Wow!

Dang Sako while the road may have been rocky the outcome was outstanding...:thumb:

Killer-b, Sako... if every fail turned out like this, I’d quit the day job!

I'd have your fail anytime Sako.

Thanks Marty!

Looks like what you had planned all along. Never know it was a salvaged fail. I'd take it over a chicken pot pie anytime.

Thanks Marty! Def way better than chicken potpie.

I wish my fails looked like that That is a WIN WIN :thumb:

Thanks George!

Nice save, if that's what you want to call it. I think in the back of your mind that is what you had planned the entire time. Lol. Looks great, Sako. I would love a bowl of that.

Thanks Carl!

Plan was a nice, fat lamb shank over a truffle potato puree. :hungry: That one drink changed the fate of the shanks.:laugh:

Wow! That looks insanely good. All of my fails turn into mystery taco meat. I actually have a boneless leg of lamb fail project that was cooked a couple weeks ago in the freezer waiting for the taco process. I may have to switch it up after seeing your results.

Your fail recovery my just turn into a future planned cook for me. I could make the drive to LA for that.

Thanks guys! Def a must try. To be honest I've never made a pot pie of any kind before but now I'm hooked.

Back