View Single Post
Old 12-04-2019, 01:09 PM   #8
KevinInStL
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Kevin

I agree with the others who said that the only thing in BBQ an IR thermometer would be good for is to measure the surface temp of a flat-top griddle.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with the others on the Thermapen though. The Thermapen is nice, and if you can afford it and think it's worth the money, then by all means go for it. It's your money...but it’s way overpriced for what it is IMO. A digital thermometer is probably one of the simplest electronic instruments there is. Even a very well made and reliable one has no business costing anywhere close $100 IMO. I have the Thermoworks 600C, which cost me something like $23 including shipping, has served me perfectly, and works just as well as the Thermapen. No it doesn’t have an auto-rotating display, and it doesn't fold. While they may sound nice, those are really unnecessary features if you ask me. Just my 2 cents.

The 600 series is IP67 waterproof though, meaning i can drop it in a pot of hot soapy water and let it soak for an hour (or even overnight) with no issues. I've had it for over 2.5 years, we use it all the time, still measures very accurate in boiling water and an icewater bath, and still haven't even had to change the battery. It is calibratable too should it ever need adjusting.

The 600C is now discontinued but the current versions of it are the 600D and the ProNeedle, both of which are around $30.
EDIT: Looks like the current 600D and ProNeedle do have a 180* rotating display. https://www.thermoworks.com/proneedle click the "10 Questions / 59 Answers" link above the price to see a comparison between the Proneedle and the 600D, as well as a comparison between the ProNeedle and ThermoPop.

Last edited by KevinInStL; 12-04-2019 at 01:43 PM..
KevinInStL is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->