• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Fat Cap, Up-Down or None at all

Midnight Smoke

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Evening all!

I was thinking about trimming my Butt pretty good. I think the bark would be better. Picked up a real nice Marbled Butt, so I think there is plenty interior fat for flavor.

What ye say? :confused:

I have been doing my fat down indirect on the egg lately (the boss does not like it fat up because "its too greasy". I hate taking it off the egg because the fat sticks to the damn grid and makes a mess. I think I am going to start trimming it off as well. Thanks for posting this, now I feel more confident!
tim

I have been toying with the idea of putting the brisket (I meant butt) in a shallow pan, but lifted off the bottom with a trivet. Since it will be indirect as well as protected from the heat from below by the pan and the egg radiates heat from the top, I think going fat cap up makes the most sense.

Has anyone else done it this way in a ceramic?

(I know that Ed (Kickassbbq) does them in a pan all the time, but don't believe that he bothers with lifting them off the bottom of the pan.)

Last edited:
Chit, stupid me thought we were talking about brisket. Trim the fat cap. There's plenty more fat all throughout that butt. Get as much outside fat off as you can WITHOUT following it down into the inner muscles. This will give you more bark. After first trying it this way I have never gone back to not trimming. It's just a waste of rub and potential bark to leave it on.

Chit, stupid me thought we were talking about brisket. Trim the fat cap. There's plenty more fat all throughout that butt. Get as much outside fat off as you can WITHOUT following it down into the inner muscles. This will give you more bark. After first trying it this way I have never gone back to not trimming. It's just a waste of rub and potential bark to leave it on.
^^what he said^^^ I always trim my butt!

I decided not to trim the fat for my Superbowl cook, and although the results were pretty good, I think the trimmed versions I did in the past were better. There is enough fat in the butts to not worry about losing any flavor from removing the cap...

I trim the cap off also before it goes in the egg.

I trim my butts. I cook on WSMs, with a foiled water pan with crumpled foil balls under the foil. And I flip them over half way through the cook.
I cooked 2 butts, one trimmed, and the other cooked fat up, and brought some to work for a blind taste test. Nobody knew what the difference was between the 2, and they prefered the trimmed 4 out of 5.
Plus as mentioned you get alot more bark.

On a butt, I leave the fat cap on and down. Afterwards I slice it off and give it to my dog. He really likes it.

Fat cap down in my vertical cookers. Fat cap down on the Traeger and Egg, but I flip a couple of times during the cook.

Back