Rules at the Royal

Why would I be kidding?

Since I was not bothered about the cooler that I was carrying, I assume that there are no rules against judges bringing coolers into the Royal

Rich, at the events I've judged many bring small (emphasis-small) coolers and a supply of ziplocks for taking home samples. Also, at the events I've judged it's considered tacky to FILL UP the cooler from the grazing table - most of that food is used to feed the volunteers and other staff.

The sponsors at the FL FBA state championship, last year, gave the judges lunch sized soft-sided coolers as "lovely parting gifts"! I use it frequently and sometimes take a larger cooler with a couple of sodas, extra water, etc. I'd never show up with anything larger than I could carry in one hand in a crowd.

I've seen a couple of real bottom-dwelling judges going around to the teams after judging and skanking meat to fill up their coolers - that's just a bit on the low life side, in my humble competitor/judge opinion.

Dave, I totally agree with you - in the "cattle call" section, I posted a pic of FF and me - with me carrying in one hand the little yellow and white cooler in which FF and I put the leftovers from OUR judging plates.

I am not sure how I feel about going to team sites AFTER judging to get food. I have visited some folks after judging, but the only food I got was some that was pressed on me with the request "taste this" - best farken brisket I ever had!

I have visited some folks after judging, but the only food I got was some that was pressed on me with the request "taste this"

Same here - I either eat it on the spot or would just decline (too full, ya know!) - not that I've ever declined tasting anyone's que. :biggrin:

Jeff_in_KC said:
Rich, ya should have dropped back by our camp after judging... I'd have given you some good Open AR meat! We only brought home around 20 pounds of Q. :roll:

Dang cooler as too farken heavy as it was - and to be blunt, your site was out where JC lost his sandals.:wink:

Here is my "take" on Judging.

None of this will work--but I just gotta state my opinion as a competetor and judge.

I was a USGF (United States Gymnasics Federation) Judge for several years.
We were given a token compensation $$ amount per event and some "severly restricted" per diem for expenses.
I always "lost money" for real and IRS purposes, but it took the sting out of the travel and other $$ required.
We were, in fact, volunteers. Any $$ we received did not offset the time, trouble, and expense of what we were doing.
To my knowledge, all "professional" sports compensate Judges and referees.
Even my wife's Quilt Guild has to provide a "token" payment for "certified judges" to evaluate a quilt show.
Even at my wife's level for a quilt show--they just added $500 or so to the budget and divided it up at $10 each for the entrants. No Problem for any one.

So--what is going on with BBQ?

We are all over Food TV and everywhere else.
We claim to be professionals.

There are "mega $$" being moved from one pocket to another.
I know a lot of those pockets are charitable, but judging is just a cost of doing business.

IMHO- we need to re-think Judging and make it a "volunteer profession" or we will never get rid of the amateurs.

To make my example real personal--I live in the Fl Panhandle. Not exactly the "mecca of BBQ". To Judge most of the events, I have to suck up many dollars of travel/lodging/meal expenses. If I knew that $50 or so was waiting, I could find lots more "rationalized reasons" to go judge. Read between the lines here--OK?

The current system produces Judges who "live in the area" for the most part.

Many events can not fill the tables with "Certified Judges" because--WHY??
1. I get to eat good food?
2. I get to fill a cooler to take home?
3. I get a "free pass" into a "paid" event??
4. I get to park closer?
5. They were "short" and "I was handy"?

It should be--IMHO:
1. I get to eat good food.
2. I know good BBQ from bad BBQ.
3. I know the rules and will apply them to the Judging process.
3. I am totally objective in my scoring and will leave my personal preferences behind.
4. I am prepared to defend my scores with objective reasons.
5. I am glad to be compensated, but will accept a $$ loss if that is what happens.

None of this will never happen until (or when) the BBQ sanctioning bodies realize that this "little hobby" has become a "major league sport"!!!!!

So-- add $10 or $20 or whatever to our entry fees!
Give us some professional Judges (not necessarily "Master Judges") and lets go cook
wink.gif

And, no coolers or left overs for the Judges--save that for the real volunteers at the event!

All of this is just a dream--at least for me!

TIM

Rich
I have read what you have posted on other sites and as a someone who Reps and organizes competitons I look at attitude when deciding who sits at the tables to judge.

Rich I personely feel you have the attitude of a loser and I would sit someone off the street before giving you a spot on a table.

Back