• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
Well i finaly made it too the end after 3 weeks,699 pages,10476 post and i did it without skipping a single page.. There is a ton of info and some great ideas on here now to start getting things together for my build will try and post some pics as i go

:clap2: Awesome job, now build it and show off some of the pron..

I think its time to represent a little Virgina Q this weekend.......

OK doing another brisket tomorrow, placed the diffuser @ 14" and the cooking grate is @ 8", using a perforated pizza pan. I can always remove it.

Well i finaly made it too the end after 3 weeks,699 pages,10476 post and i did it without skipping a single page.. There is a ton of info and some great ideas on here now to start getting things together for my build will try and post some pics as i go

If I had an extra trophy it would be yours. I would never have done that. My hats off to you. But seriously you only only have to look at a page or two to figure out how to make a K.I.S.S. drum

honestly my build was already planed before i ever started reading this thread i did it just to do it i deff learned a thing or two and got a few good ideas along the way so it was worth it. dont think i would do it again tho lol

That's petty awesome. I got to page 20 and said, "Fark it" and started buying parts and building. I purposefully kept it simple as I knew I would learn a few things.

Next one will be powder coated and anodized with chrome billited parts. :becky:

Made some adjustments on my UDS... some long awaited.
It's filthy work after its been cooked on for a while.

Removed the intake vent and put some Nomex gasket tape under the vent.
(Ditched the aluminum foil I had stuffed in there to fill the gaps)
C633B4E0-41C7-43CB-B4AE-2D6A134FF7BE-918-00000108EB8BCA39.jpg

Decided to add just one handle, 2 across from each other would make it pretty awkward to carry. Maybe I'll install a wheel and it will be like a unicycle hand truck.
1F8D3B21-68D5-431D-BA64-B8AC6F62294A-918-00000108A4710693.jpg

All stainless steel components, as is the rest of the drum.
F0C93F15-7E1E-43D1-B310-FDCA678F599C-918-00000108C55334B9.jpg

Temp in the Middle.

I was reading somewhere that the middle of a drum is 20 degrees hotter the the side. I has a thermometer with a 3" stem mounted just under my cooking grate. I place on om the digital probe during a smoke right in the middle hanging down. It appears to me that the temp is the same in the middle & the side.

First USD, not the last

Great resource, great ideas for my first UDS, not my last already thinking about the next build

Attachments

• mail.jpg
    mail.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 749
Last edited:
My temps are the same in the middle and side. My basket burns the coals evenly too:D

Sent from my GS3 via Tapatalk 2

The middle of my drum is about 20 degrees hotter than the sides. It is consistent though, so I don't really consider it a problem.

Anyone have a solution for the puddle of liquid that ends up at the bottom after a long smoke? I've done 3 sessions in my UDS so far, I end up with a good bit of fat "juice" on the floor of the UDS, under the charcoal basket. Guessing I need some sort of way to catch the drippings that don't hit the coals.

Anyone have a solution for the puddle of liquid that ends up at the bottom after a long smoke? I've done 3 sessions in my UDS so far, I end up with a good bit of fat "juice" on the floor of the UDS, under the charcoal basket. Guessing I need some sort of way to catch the drippings that don't hit the coals.

I have read that some have put an oil absorbent in the bottom then just vacuum out.
---------------------------------------------------------

Now I have a question;

Will Lump (instead of Kingsford briquets) solve an ash choke problem on a long burn or do I need to change the basket bottom to a grate instead of #9 X 3/4 expanded?

The brisket I did yesterday turned out great but had some problems with the charcoal. Some my fault (started to hot and had trouble keeping the temp down) then about 1/2 way thru the smoke it seemed I had trouble getting the temp up and this morning it appeared to have an ash choke inside the basket.

Thanks

I have read that some have put an oil absorbent in the bottom then just vacuum out.
---------------------------------------------------------

Now I have a question;

Will Lump (instead of Kingsford briquets) solve an ash choke problem on a long burn or do I need to change the basket bottom to a grate instead of #9 X 3/4 expanded?

The brisket I did yesterday turned out great but had some problems with the charcoal. Some my fault (started to hot and had trouble keeping the temp down) then about 1/2 way thru the smoke it seemed I had trouble getting the temp up and this morning it appeared to have an ash choke inside the basket.

Thanks

Thanks for asking mine. I wonder if a kitty litter type material would work down there, instead of making some intricate system to catch drippings.

As for your question.. I had my UDS going for 16 hours the other day while testing the new PID, with Kingsford Lump, no issues with choking. How long of a smoke did you have this issue?

Do you have an ash pan mounted to the bottom of the charcoal basket? If not, do that.
I have been using my UDS for a year with no puddles of grease in the drum.

Always use hardwood lump. Kingsford briquettes are made out of furniture scraps with other mystery wood. ..

Sent from my GS3 via Tapatalk 2

Do you have an ash pan mounted to the bottom of the charcoal basket? If not, do that.
I have been using my UDS for a year with no puddles of grease in the drum.

Always use hardwood lump. Kingsford briquettes are made out of furniture scraps with other mystery wood. ..

Thanks for the advice.

Yes, I have an ash pan, pictured below. Think I need a larger one?

32429_10151196094604877_386508761_n.jpg

Got all my parts minus the barrel which I'm picking up on Thursday. Should be having some fun this weekend!

Back