Beef Brisket: Honest Opinions Needed

TEC

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I have read that if you buy a cryovac sealed beef brisket and place it in the refrigerator for a min. of 30 days that it develops better flavors. I need to know before I take up that much frig space, whether or not this is really true. Is this something that can actually be tasted or just a something that people think they can taste because they believe it? Has anyone ventured a side by side taste test?

Thanks in advance!

If you know the butcher he can tell you the slaughter date that is on the case and 30 days in your fridge might not be needed.

EDIT: Packing date not slaughter date. Why am I so dumb??:tsk:

Last edited:
When stores/butchers buy a case of brisket, there is a packing date marked on the box. That is the start date and about 30 days after that you oughta be cooking the meat. The problem is they don't pass that date onto you. Sometimes all you get is a sell by or use by date. I would be safe and not go beyond those dates if you can't get someone to tell you the packing date.

Yes, you can tell the difference in taste and tenderness.

But, as the guys pointed out, you have to know the pack date or kill date (some beef processors list the kill date instead of the pack date) before you can safely wet age.

I wet age briskets for at least 30 days beyond the pack date and prefer to go 45 - 50 days.

The refrigerator that you use for aging the brisket should be opened as little as possible.

Yes, you can tell the difference in taste and tenderness.

But, as the guys pointed out, you have to know the pack date or kill date (some beef processors list the kill date instead of the pack date) before you can safely wet age.

I wet age briskets for at least 30 days beyond the pack date and prefer to go 45 - 50 days.

The refrigerator that you use for aging the brisket should be opened as little as possible.

This is the most important thing next too the kill or pack date. If you try this in your regular fridge it will not be good. There is a specific temp range you need to hold for this process other wise it may smell funny when you take it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Opening and closing fridge door has to do with temp fluctuations. I think it was kenji Lopez at serious eats while doing his dry age experiments said that when you open the door to pour milk into your erceal the fridge losses about 7% of its energy. Then you open it for a glass of OJ that's about 10% total loss. See where this is going...

Thanks guys.
Since I get my meats from Restaurant Depot I guess I wont be trying this. I've never seen a packaged date on their meats.

The packing date is on the box they are shipped in. If you can ask someone you may be able to find this out.

Thanks guys.
Since I get my meats from Restaurant Depot I guess I wont be trying this. I've never seen a packaged date on their meats.
The guy at RD told me that there beef is wet aged 30 days from the supplier before they sell it.
I wet aged some RD briskets for 45-60 days and they all turned bad. Even after rinsing and scrubbing them they were still sour.
jon

Thanks guys.

If you buy by the case at RD the pack date is on the case. If you buy individual meats the date code on the meats is the day that they printed the label.

The guy at RD told me that there beef is wet aged 30 days from the supplier before they sell it.

I wonder if this is different in different RD regions, or if this has changed. I had this conversation with the meat department manager at my local RD a couple of years ago and he told me that they weren't aged, and the dates on the cases on the shelf agreed with that. I'll have to ask again on my nest trip.

I've done this before and I am currently agine one right now. The first one turned out awesome. Since then I have become more smarter... ish, on how to properly cook one of them their things. So it should come out even gooderer this time.

I know all of y'all are a whole lot smarter than this Georgia boy but I'm telling you that I don't like old milk or old anything else that I'm going to eat. I don't think I'll be eaten aged beef but y'all go ahead. To each their own, it's not for me. I like to buy it, rub it that night and smoke it the next day.

I know all of y'all are a whole lot smarter than this Georgia boy but I'm telling you that I don't like old milk or old anything else that I'm going to eat. I don't think I'll be eaten aged beef but y'all go ahead. To each their own, it's not for me. I like to buy it, rub it that night and smoke it the next day.

Whats to say that beef you just bought isint already been cryod and held for 30+ days before you got your hands on it? :confused:

Dry aging is pretty tough from what I hear. you need a lot of temp, humidity, and air control. 30 days for wet aging should be fine for a brisket.

I've never had to wet age a brisket but I've purchased any grocery store Briskets yet. I usually get them from high quality butcuers and reputable online butchers shop pre-aged. Some site will allow you to request a 45 day aged special order.

My concern with wet againg a Costco brisket for example would most of the people working there would not know how long the beef had already been aged.

Back