Turn In Boxes from OC BBQ Festival

Ryan Chester

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I have never took a class or judged a contest so I don't really know much about box presentation, other than what I read on these forums. We place in the top 10 overall most of the time so we do well but I would love to see what you guys think about these boxes from last weekend. I don't have a picture of the rib box as I was super rushed. Pork is where we struggle most so it's time to dial it in.

Any help you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated!

5th place chicken
OCChicken.jpg

31st place pork
OCPork.jpg

10th place brisket
OCBrisket.jpg

Be carful, it appears chunks of pork is marking...I am sure your are trying to send a signal with those 3 layed out the way they are on the top! Gezzzz

Well Bent I am a chunker
LOL did someone actually call chunks a marked box? :)

Didn't get any of the ribs Thom. It's a good thing because the placement was ugly. I turned in 7 bones 4 on the bottom and 3 on top half way covering the bottom 4 but top ones wouldn't lay right. I need to figure out how to present the ribs better.

Bentley - If your not a fan of chunks, what do you recommend?

Didn't get any of the ribs Thom. It's a good thing because the placement was ugly. I turned in 7 bones 4 on the bottom and 3 on top half way covering the bottom 4 but top ones wouldn't lay right. I need to figure out how to present the ribs better.

Bentley - If your not a fan of chunks, what do you recommend?

I am a fan of chunks, was venting at a few posts I saw in other Threads...It's a sauce contest 1st, then meat, and if your turn-ins looked as good in this thread as in person and they hit my table, I would have given 9's on everyone of those boxes for apperance.

And if you (the proverbial you) say its not a sauce contest and you compete. turn in your meat with no sauce and no rub at your next contest and get back to me...Meat contest my...

I am a fan of chunks, was venting at a few posts I saw in other Threads...It's a sauce contest 1st, then meat, and if your turn-ins looked as good in this thread as in person and they hit my table, I would have given 9's on everyone of those boxes for apperance.

And if you (the proverbial you) say its not a sauce contest and you compete. turn in your meat with no sauce and no rub at your next contest and get back to me...Meat contest my...

Gotcha. Thanks for the assessment!

my initial reaction to the chicken is something is wrong with the front pieces. It looks like all the pieces need more trimming before cooking to get a slightly more uniform shape. But with the front 2 what really throws it off is the lack of symmetry. One of the pieces needs to be turned 180 degrees so the skinny sloped ends match.

Pork needs more meat in the box and IMHO more bark showing. You could also do a small pile of pulled in the box with chunks or you could add slices. From what I'm seeing adding 2 "kinds" is generally scoring better.

Brisket - nothing jumps out. Maybe it's the picture or what you finished with but there's no pop to the box. Also a lot of green at the front. Either spread the slices a little more or add more slices to the box. It just looks funny like you were going to add burnt ends but they didn't turn out or you ran out of time.

I might give the chicken an 8 but probably a 7. Pork 7. Brisket 7 because I don't think any decent box that shows some work should get a 6.

Here's my honest opinion and I mean no disrespect. 7s on pork and chicken, maybe an 8 on brisket.

Chicken: color is awesome! But the pieces look like they have not been trimmed. I think that's a simple enough thing to fix (however, 5th place ain't bad!!)

Pork: looks sloppy. The chunks aren't clean - some still have some stringy pieces attached. Again, that's just about attention to detail and I think it can be easily fixed. How were taste scores? I'm with Bentley, with pork it's a sauce contest!!

Brisket: best looking box. The slices look good, though the color seems off (perhaps that's shadows from the pic. I would seriously consider adding burnt ends. The front part of the box is begging for them :)

Again, not tying to be a jerk, just being honest.

Chicken: Trim better - CHECK
Pork: More sauce, more bark, add pulled, cleaner pieces - CHECK
Brisket: Add burnt ends - CHECK

No disrespect taken! This is exactly the type of info I was hoping for. I don't see other boxes so I don't really know.

Thank you guys!!!

Pork needs more meat in the box and IMHO more bark showing.

This just should not be a factor when judging apperance...Put your personal bias aside and use the rules you have been given by KCBS...Does it have the required amount in the box? Then judge it for appearence, dont bring your personal views into the equation.

I think it has to much meat in it, should I judge it down for that?

Last edited:
Back