View Single Post
Old 05-25-2014, 04:55 PM   #2
bizznessman
is one Smokin' Farker

That is a sticky situation imho. Will the customer be upset if you do not make the "slaw"? Do you take the risks involved and make the "slaw"?

We ran into this type of situation a few times early on and went ahead and complied. After the second time, however, we added a clause to our catering contract that states; 1) No raw ingredients will be used other than those supplied by the "caterer" 2) No food will be served other than that supplied by the caterer. 3) If the customer chooses not to abide by items #1 and/or #2 the caterer will segregate said items away from the food supplied by the caterer and will not be responsible or liable in any way for said food. This clause is in BOLD TYPE and requires that the customer initials it prior to signing the contract. We also explain the reason for this clause, to the customer, so that they are aware of the Quality/Safety/Liability issues involved.

There are two issues here; 1) Quality Control of Products Served, are the ingredients up to the standards with which the caterer normally uses? 2) LIABILITY - The caterer has no idea where these food products came from or whether they have been stored under food safe conditions.

In your instance I would have probably gone and talked to the customer and explained why you did not want to comply with their "request". If they were belligerent I probably would have made the "slaw" and then amended my contract ASAP to avoid this at future events.