• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

How to get middle of the pack ribs!

Jacked UP BBQ

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
We improved from last week in the placings but I still am lost on ribs. These ribs tasted awesome and I believe looked awesome. Once again scores were all over place. Some 9's and 6's in all three judging areas.

Last edited:
Im in the same boat as you. A few months ago ribs were our strongest category and now I am lost. I have been middle-bottom of the field each of the last three contest and they are costing us some serious placing points. I never thought i would need to see a pshychiatrist over bbq! Those look good to me!

Just a suggestion but you might try two rows of 4 instead of having the one on the right/bottom just hanging out. If you align the two rows right judges wont see the bones sticking out on bottom row and because of angle on the front row you can get creative with garnish and hide/disguise front row bones so all they see is meat. If I can find a photo of what im talkin about I will post it.

I know appearance doesnt count much for score but it does count and could make a slight difference. They do look perfect themselves just not uniform. Great now I want ribs for lunch :)

They do look good. I would put in 7 or 8 ribs. Always remember the table captain.

It's nice to fit more than the required six, but why "always remember the table captain"? They have no input on scores and sometimes you just can't get more than 6 to fit. Especially when the comp provides smaller than normal boxes.

they look good, maybe a little less glaze (very shiny, could be the pic), the bone end is very clean, doesnt even look like smoke kissed it ( kinda too clean). should be a good 8 or atleast a 7+.

(add disclaimer here)

The first thing that jumped out at me (maybe the camera's fault) is the glaze. It looks a bit thick, almost like a lacquer. Maybe cut the sauce/glaze more with apple juice to reduce the thickness a bit. Other than that, I'd give 'em a strong 7, perhaps an 8. I personally like running the bones vertically. Also, if you can fit 'em, try squeezing 8-10 bones stacked slightly on top of each other. I saw this photo today, and I'd give these a strong "8", or perhaps even a "9", albeit I'd perhaps I'd rotate them 180 degrees --> http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo281/huminie/IMG_1012.jpg

Got any ideas for me on brisket or pork? :)

That is actually the box turned sideways. As far as teh bones go I have been told that the judges love that. I cleaned the bones before putting them in the box so they wouldnt look black and saucy. I will thin the sauce out next time.

It's nice to fit more than the required six, but why "always remember the table captain"? They have no input on scores and sometimes you just can't get more than 6 to fit. Especially when the comp provides smaller than normal boxes.

Do not think for a second that the table captain cannot sway judges. There are always subtle ways of doing things. Remember they gather and present the open boxes to the judges. Not saying it is necessary but it don't hurt.

I think most judges want a view of the smoke ring on the ribs...however, my boxes never look that nice.

That is actually the box turned sideways. As far as teh bones go I have been told that the judges love that. I cleaned the bones before putting them in the box so they wouldnt look black and saucy. I will thin the sauce out next time.
Really? I never heard that before... Interesting...

It is a bit hard to judge from a picture but they do look like the have a coating of lacquer. The also look like they are cut to slightly different sizes and the single one is a slightly different color. Think I would have given a 7 or 8

59 teams, you were 30th in ribs, we were 29th... who's more mid-pack :) ?
We arranged our rib box like that, but had one going across the top also. Learned a valuable lesson this weekend too. Always bring a few extra bags of pellets.

When people say a coating of lacquer???? Are you saying that they are too shiny because I think that makes them look good. A nice shine gives them a better look IMO.

I suspect that the super glossy look is due to the bright sun when you photographed them. My box photos looked like they were polyurethaned.
Solid 8 - try switching the ribs around so the bones face the judges when the box is displayed.

Do not think for a second that the table captain cannot sway judges. There are always subtle ways of doing things. Remember they gather and present the open boxes to the judges. Not saying it is necessary but it don't hurt.

Please elaborate on this, I have always heard the term "take care of the table captain" but I always thought it was one of the unwritten laws of bbq.
If Table Captains are influencing scores I would like to know how...
The times I have acted as a Table Captain I never had a chance to look at the box before I showed it to the table, so I am not sure how a Table Captain can influence scoring in any way, however if you have some info on how it is being done I would like to know...

Ribs look like slabs of candy on a stick. I would not be as generous with my score as the rest say. I would rather see rib meat thru a very thin glaze.

Back