Freezing Pulled Pork

BubbaBones

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am freezing pulled pork for the upcoming farmers market starting in 2 weeks.

I cooked yesterday and then pulled and put each butt in a large freezer bag then put in the fridge.

If I freeze them in the freezer bag how long can they stay freezer bag before they should be used or am I better off splitting them up and freezing them in food savers?

Also if I freeze them in a freezer bag can I reheat them in the freezer bag by putting them in boiling water?

Thank you.

I would pull it then freeze it after I vacuum sealed it the flavor will only get better. To reheat just drop the sealed bag in hot water it will be fine.

I'd definitely use the food saver on it if it's going to be frozen more than a couple of days.

I was about to post the same question and am happy to see someone else was doing the same thing today.

I already portioned it out into vacuum sealer bags and tossed in the freezer. I'm thinking it should be good for a month or two that way. Pull it out, let it thaw, and then toss is some boiling water to reheat. Am I on the right path?

Thanks

Yep, we vac sac both brisket and pulled pork. Drop them into simmering water for 15-20 minutes and serve. In the vac bags it will hold for months.

I was vac sealing mine as well until my health department guy told me I couldn't do that, said I had to put it in freezer bags and get as much air out that way. Said I needed a commercial vac sealer and that only one person in my county has ever been able to get licensed for its use. What a drag....

BossMan,

Did the HD guy exclude your vac sealer from a commercial kitchen on inspection? Wow! That is pretty hard core. Since the food never actually touches the machine in the case of a vacuum sealer, this is normally not an issue. But, hey, the HD can rule as they like.

Commercial sealers can be had for around $1000 if you search. The device should require only NSF certification to be considered a 'commercial sealer'.

As for his comment about 'getting licensed' to use it. I've NEVER heard of that. Is he implying that there is a separate 'use license' required to operate a commercial vacuum sealer in your county? I would look for clarification on this issue. Not saying that the HD guy is wrong, but Holy Cow, that is about as Nazi like as I have EVER heard.

I've sealed meals in food saver vacuum pack for years. Then just reheated them in boiling water. Great for hunting trips when you don't want to cook and get your clothes smelling like food.

Well in Michigan if we freeze that has to be written up in our SOP's and all equipment used has to be NSF labeled. We need to document how we cool, how we thaw and reheat. You can only reheat in your trailer or vending approved setup. So in fact we are licensed to thaw and reheat.

I put pulled pork and shopped brisket in a half pan and cover with proper lid and freeze that way. Then I thaw in the commercail fridge and heat in the FE100's. To chill I either use large coolers with ice or put 3 or 4 half pans in the freezer at a time.

FYI a solid lump of frozen butt will take a lot more than 30 minutes in boiling water. Actually I'd be surprised if the water keeps boiling. I'd for sure have it thawed before reheating.

I'm not an expert on Canadian vending laws but I'd PM DivaQ and ask her some questions before doing much.

Like DesMar I have done it where the time has been more then a year. On the Vac sealing. If you put it the sealer bag and let it cool in the frig for a day and then seal it. I find that works better.

Here's the explanation I received from the HD when they found the Food Saver in my kitchen. Even with the best sanitation practices, it's possible to have botulism present. Botulism is an anaerobic organism, meaning that it thrives in a vacuum. It creates a toxin that is heat stable, so proper re-heating does not get rid of that toxin and that's what makes you sick. One of the functions of a commercial sealer is that it raises the temperature of the wrapper to 185* (I think) to kill any of the bugs that are on the plastic wrap.

Here's the explanation I received from the HD when they found the Food Saver in my kitchen. Even with the best sanitation practices, it's possible to have botulism present. Botulism is an anaerobic organism, meaning that it thrives in a vacuum. It creates a toxin that is heat stable, so proper re-heating does not get rid of that toxin and that's what makes you sick. One of the functions of a commercial sealer is that it raises the temperature of the wrapper to 185* (I think) to kill any of the bugs that are on the plastic wrap.
Excellent explanation and it explains why I can freeze nad thaw and reheat in 1/2 pans.

What he said.

I would pull it then freeze it after I vacuum sealed it the flavor will only get better. To reheat just drop the sealed bag in hot water it will be fine.

Also done it with ribs. Very surprised at the taste, just like off the smoker.

Excellent explanation and it explains why I can freeze and thaw and reheat in 1/2 pans.

... and after having this conversation with Ford in an earlier thread, I do the same.

Back