Chilaquiles and Enchiladas

Gore

Phizzy

Batch Image
Reaction score
Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis
These used to be a staple and haven't had them in a while. Ecode made some enchilada sauce to go with the carne seca. Naturally, we had to try it out. Grilled some chicken, marinaded in yogurt and lime juice, bit of salt and pepper seasoning:

IMG_7167.jpg

This was cut up and placed on top of corn chips

IMG_7168.jpg

covered in enchilada sauce and topped with cheese

IMG_7170.jpg

into the broiler for 5 minutes

IMG_7171.jpg

The next night we had regular ol' enchiladas. Corn tortillas lightly fried, still soft, dipped in enchilada sauce a rolled around the carne seca we made last weekend. A bit more sauce on top, cheese, and into the broiler for 5 minutes to melt the cheese.

IMG_7172.jpg

I grew up on this stuff and it's been way too long since I've had any.

edit: added recipe

OK, here's the recipe. The first step is to make some carne seca. The recipe, more or less is here.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=154684

The carne seca is optional. You need roughtly 2 cups of water and we use the water from the boil. You can use regular water, but this is more flavorful.
Other ingredients are
2 tbsp oil
1 minced onion
a few minced garlic cloves
2 tbsp flour
6 tbsp ground NM chile powder
2 cups tomato juice
1 tsp Mexican oregano
1+ teaspoon of salt
May add a bit of tomato paste or a beef bouillon cube if necessary

saute onion and garlic in oil until soft. add flour and mix, then chile, then "water," slowly. Add rest of ingredients and bring to a boil. Simmer for 20 minutes or so. The sauce by itself generally doesn't taste good to most people. It is when it is added to the other food that it shines. This is part of the dilemma as I've had sauce that I thought was delicious, but when added to the food, it was lame, and some of the worst-tasting sauce on the spoon tasted the best with the food.

Last edited:
Looks absolutely fantastic. Care to share the enchilada sauce recipe? Please!!

Oh man Gore, that looks good!

The yogurt and lime marinade sounds interesting.

Is it just plain yogurt?

Dave

Yogurt does a good job tenderizing chicken. It also keeps it moist. Yeah, just plain ol' yogurt. Not banana or raspberry, although I've never tried those. Lime just adds some acid to help it break down a bit more. Lemon or vinegar also can work, but lime goes well with Mexican. We'd normally add chile powder to the seasoning, but there's already a lot of that in the sauce. I'll try to get a recipe for you. My wife does that and she's done many different kinds. She went from very authentic to very simple and I have no idea what this was as I was working and came home to it.

BTW, Fingerlickin' is the new and improved Gore. I don't know why he doesn't post the receipt himself. :mmph:

Never heard of a Chilaquile and now I don't think I can live without some! Amazing how the world turns. On a parallel thread someone was questioning what they might get for a subscription; this post alone is worth subscibing and participating in the forum!:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Good Tex-mex comfort food,need to have it once a week, yours looks fantastic.

Bravo, Gore! So was the sauce made from dried chiles?

OK, here's the recipe. The first step is to make some carne seca. The recipe, more or less is here.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154684

You save 2 cups of that water from the boil. You can use regular water, but this is more flavorful.
Other ingredients are
2 tbsp oil
1 minced onion
a few minced garlic cloves
2 tbsp flour
6 tbsp ground NM chile powder
2 cups tomato juice
1 tsp Mexican oregano
1+ teaspoon of salt
May add a bit of tomato paste or a beef bouillon cube if necessary

saute onion and garlic in oil until soft. add flour and mix, then chile, then "water," slowly. Add rest of ingredients and bring to a boil. Simmer for 20 minutes or so. The sauce by itself generally doesn't taste good to most people. It is when it is added to the other food that it shines. This is part of the dilemma as I've had sauce that I thought was delicious, but when added to the food, it was lame, and some of the worst-tasting sauce on the spoon tasted the best with the food.

Back