Good Fajita recipe

BBQ Bacon

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I checked the BBQ Recipe book and didn't find anything. Does anyone have a "go to" fajita marinade they use over and over again because it's the best darn'd fajita marinade ever? I've tried a few from Google searches and have always found them to be lacking that something something. Maybe it's my cut of meat. Maybe I should try skirt instead of flank.

Any help would be appreciated.

Did you see the thread posted by Moose the other day..... Rub Company Asada Tacos. This is next on my list to di for tacos. I've been wanting something different and from the pics this looks awesome.......

Not sure if this is what your looking for but you could do alot of different things with this..........

Big Bear

I would definitely go with skirt over flank any day of the week. Try marinating the skirt in orange juice, sliced onions, and cilantro.

Orange and/or lime juice, onions, cilantro are absolutes.

I usually add a splash of tequila, and occasionally throw in some triple sec.

I've tried: chile powder in various forms, cumin, garlic, and different peppers for some spice. I still haven't found a "killer combo" yet.

Do a general search on the site. I got a freaking awesome recipe and wrote it down but it got thrown out. It is a recipe with tequila in it.

You will not be disappointed with the results of a general search for sure.

Noob here but the only way outside of a restaurant I have cooked them is as follows:

1/2lb skirt steak/ person
1 large can sliced jalapenos
1/4-1/2 cup red wine vinegar
Dash of liquid smoke

Combine whole can (juice and all) jalapenos and rest of ingredients in a large Ziploc with the meat and marinate for at least 18 hours

I like a hot fire with mesquite chunks to cook quick

Mop sauce

Combine equal parts
Terrayki and A-1 and add a teaspoon liquid smoke

Brush on both sides toward the end of cook
Let rest a bit
SLICE AGAINST THE GRAIN

enjoy

This is for about 1-2lbs of meat

My marinade is simple: wooster, tabasco sauce and OJ. Overnight is best. Once it's ready to hit the grill, a good coating of Montreal. I cook it over high heat and cook it fast. I'll then move it off to the warm end of the grill to rest. We like em on the rare side. I don't normally do onions and peppers. Just a good hot salsa and some cottage cheese/quacamole stuff we make. Basically, just guac with cottage cheese added. Sounds like an odd combo, but that's how we roll.

Bob

These is not mine but you may want to try it:

Beef Fajita Marinade I
• 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
• 1/4 cup tequila
• 1 teaspoon crushed dried oregano leaves (preferably Mexican oregano)
• 2 large cloves garlic, crushed
• 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
• 2 teaspoons ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Combine all ingredients and mix well. Pour marinade over meat in shallow glass, plastic or other non-reactive container (a 1-gallon plastic zip-top bag works well). Refrigerate overnight or up to 24 hours.

Beef Fajita Marinade II
• 12 ounces beer (not lite beer)
• 1 cup canola or olive oil
• 1 small white onion, sliced
• 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
• 4 large garlic cloves, crushed
• 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
• 1 tablespoon chili powder
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• 3 dried chiles de arbol, seeds and stems removed, crushed
Combine all ingredients and mix well. Pour marinade over meat in shallow glass, plastic or other non-reactive container (a 1-gallon plastic zip-top bag works well). Refrigerate overnight or up to 24 hours.

Makes enough to marinate 3 pounds flank steak (6 generous servings).

Beef Fajita Marinade III
• 1 cup red wine vinegar
• 1/2 cup tequila
• 1/3 cup canola oil
• 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
• 4 large garlic cloves, crushed
• 3 tablespoons brown sugar
• 3 fresh jalapeños, stems and seeds removed, minced
• 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
• 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
• 1 to 2 teaspoons ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves (preferably Mexican oregano)
• 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
• salt to taste

Makes enough to marinate 2-1/2 to 3 pounds flank steak (6 generous servings).

The best fajitas in Dallas are at La Hacienda Ranch. Their parent restaurant, Mariano's, also invented the frozen margarita machine.

I can't find their marinade recipe anywhere on the internets. I have a friend who worked there back in college. I need to ask him if he knows.

CD

I just go down to the nearest Carniceria (mexican market) and buy fajita's and cook them. You may be in Calgary, but there has to be one somewhere in town. Sooooo much easier than making them, and down here actually cheaper than making them myself.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'll definitely enjoy trying them all. In the past when I marinade something I pour all the ingredients into a ziplock bag and then freeze it. Then while they thaw later in the fridge they marinade.

My go to is:

1/3 C Fresh Lime Juice
1/3 C EVOO
4 large Garlic Cloves
1.5 tsp Cumin
2 tsp Fresh Cracked Black Pepper

Once the meat has rested and been cut I usually grab amother piece of lime and squeeze it over the meat to taste.

Here's the one that I like and have used many times with flank steak. I know it's not traditional but I prefer it for fajitas over skirt.

Two tips
-score your flank steak on both sides, it helps get more flavor across the steak and give nice crispy edges after grilling.
-Save 2-3 Tbsp of the marinade BEFORE marinating and mix with about 1/2 cup of sour cream. That makes for a tangy finishing sauce to squirt on your fajitas.

NMT Steak Fajita Marinade

1/4 cup Oil
1/4 cup Lime Juice
1/4 cup Tequila
1-2 clove Garlic minced
1 1/2 teaspoon Season salt
1 1/2 teaspoon Oregano
1 1/2 teaspoon Cumin
1/2 teaspoon Chili powder
1/2 teaspoon Paprika
1/2 teaspoon Red pepper flakes

Question - I am going to try simple, I believe in the less ingredients the better sometimes (not my brisket recipe)M

Moose - OJ, Cilantro and onion? Hmm Do you put any type of seasoning on the fajitas after the marinade? Maybe a good dose of salt or Cumin?

Back