Scored a Used 18.5 WSM... Charcoal Grate rusted?

Instagator

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Hey.

So I scored a used WSM 18.5 WSM (AA) from a guy near Toronto for 120 bucks. It was in decent shape, replaced a few nuts but nothing major. The only thing that has me worried is the charcoal grate. Its my first smoker, let alone my first charcoal experience. The grate is RUSTED. I mean rusted to shreds, now I can possibly clean it up with a LOT of sandpaper but i'm wondering, is that normal? Should there be rust on the grate? I haven't found rust on anything else except on that grate.

I'll try and take a picture of it tomorrow and show u guys.

If i need a replacement, do i need to get it directly from weber? (you guys may not be able to answer this as I'm in Canada, and Home Depot is nothing liek the US counterpart nor do we have ace hardware :D)

Thanks guys

The rust is normal. The heat from the charcoal will remove most coatings on charcoal grates. You should be able to get the diameter of the grate and get a replacement.

As long as it is not rusted out to where coals fall through you are fine. Clean it up with a wire brush and you are good to go. Enjoy your WSM. I love mine.

If it will still hold and support a load of charcoal I would just hit it with a wire brush. After all it's just a charcoal grate not a food grate.

I don't remember what size charcoal grate the 18.5 WSM uses and not sure if HD would even have it. If you need a new one you may have to get it from Weber. Another option would be to make a charcoal grate out of a piece of expanded metal.

If it's shot to the point where it's not safe to use, swing into Ontario Gas & BBQ, they'll have replacement grates. As does Lowe's in the US. WSMs are GREAT cookers! Enjoy!!

The 18.5 WSM charcoal grate is an odd size so don't plan on finding a replacement at your local Lowes or HD. Unless it is totally falling apart, it should be fine. One thing that a lot of us WSM users do is that we buy a charcoal grate made for the 18.5 inch kettle and place it on top of the WSM charcoal grate oriented in the opposite direction. This is especially helpful if you plan on using lump as it will prevent a lot of the small pieces from falling through the grate. It basically does the same thing as putting expanded metal over it or using a charcoal basket but it is just a lot easier to come by.

The 18.5 WSM charcoal grate is an odd size so don't plan on finding a replacement at your local Lowes or HD. Unless it is totally falling apart, it should be fine. One thing that a lot of us WSM users do is that we buy a charcoal grate made for the 18.5 inch kettle and place it on top of the WSM charcoal grate oriented in the opposite direction. This is especially helpful if you plan on using lump as it will prevent a lot of the small pieces from falling through the grate. It basically does the same thing as putting expanded metal over it or using a charcoal basket but it is just a lot easier to come by.

+1. That's exactly what I did.

Well, I cleaned it up a bit more. I used that technique of dropping it on the ground and cleared out a LOT of stuff, except I dropped it from a foot high. lol. Seemed to do the trick. Other then that... i shouldn't be concerned with rust what so ever? (first smoker, not even first smoke yet - Tomorrow is big day!)

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 197
I would just hit that with a wire brush and call it good. if for some reason you do need any parts go to the virtual weber bullet website and you should be able to find schematics with part numbers for the various models and years. Also should find a chart with the codes on the lids daisy wheel that will tell you the model year. Tons of info there if you spend the time looking you will come up to speed real quick. Welcome to the weber community. Also if you order parts from them the service is great. I got mine in a few business days.

That grate is in great shape! Get some ribs in that bad boy!

congrats on your score, and that charcoal grate appears to be on perfect working order.

Thanks guys, really appreicate it! Doing a first run on rack of Ribs tonight!

The only thing that touches it is charcoal. Charcoal doesn't care about a little rust :-D

Whats a little rust among lumps of charcoal...unless your charcoal is to high class to be associated with rust.

looks good brother. that charcoal grate is in solid shape. totally digging that steal

Back