What to do with my only gas grill?

bbqgeekess

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
It's a pretty nice one.. Cost $1200 new (got it for $50 used and put $100 into it in repairs).. It performs well.

But after BBQ'ing the past months with charcoal.. I am having a hard time going back to it. I don't even know what I'd use it for.

Any ideas on why I should keep it? I guess for the occasional burn bans here in Oklahoma (that's the only reason I can think of at the moment).

Charcoal isn't all that inconvenient really (compared to gas).. I get the chimney started immediately by sitting it on my 60k BTU propane burner for a minute or two :) Within 10 minutes or so I am ready to start grilling burgers on my hasty bake or smokey joe. About the same time it takes the PGS K40 gas grill to heat up.

You could retrofit it with a rotisserie rack...This is the one thing missing on my pit that would be fun to have.

Keep it for when you need to grill something and lighting charcoal is problematic or grill space is limited. Or sell it and get a Kettle or an Akorn....both charcoal grills...one being better at smoking and the second better at grilling in my experience. You could always get a Kettle and an Akorn and be justified at the same time.

Gut it line it with stainless steel tray and use it to start your chimney and do Dutch oven cooking

Gut it line it with stainless steel tray and use it to start your chimney and do Dutch oven cooking

Do you really need to gut it? I would just set the SS tray on the burner, just so you have a back up.

I cut my Charbroil Red up into little pieces and put the piece of Sh#t in the trash last week. Tired of paying 150 bucks every year to replace parts that wear out. Gassers don't add much other than about a 10-15 minute head start. I would rather wait the extra time to get excellent food from a wood/briquette burning BBQ.

Do the burn bans there effect charcoal use? If so, that's a good reason to keep it.
Also, if you ever run out of space on your charcoal units, your gasser could be used as a hot hold, or even another cooking area.

Or, sell it and buy another charcoal unit or a bunch of meat...

Why not sell the nice gas grill and buy a gas assist for the charcoal grill? I jest, my gassers, I have two now come in very handy for me, even though I rarely use both. During the week I use them for quick meals, and then on the weekends I use the smoker. I don't really have a charcoal grill at this time, but when I do finely get my stinking butt in gear, and finish my vertical Bandera I hope to be able to do some quick grilling on that, as well as smoking. Have thought about getting a Hibachi when its just me and the wife.
Dave

You already have a place to light your chimney, so yard art looks to be the only practical use for it :wink:

Make it into a charcoal grill that's what I did with my Kingfisher Kountry Kooker.

I use mine to do a quick crisping on chicken wings and to carmelize the sauce on my ribs if I'm saucing them. It is really nice to have if I want to do something quick at night with minimal clean up, or if a friend comes to a get together with their kids so we can just throw burgers on for the tykes. I'd keep it since you have so little in it.

Haven't used mine (Weber Silver C) in 2 years, but my wife wants me to clean it up and refill the gas bottle so she can cook on it. I said I'd get around to it...

Haven't used mine (Weber Silver C) in 2 years, but my wife wants me to clean it up and refill the gas bottle so she can cook on it. I said I'd get around to it...
Grilling on a gas grill....what's that? Just kidding!

I use mine for a holding spot when cooking in the winter. As food comes off the charcoal grill, I can put it in a cast iron pan or Dutch oven in the gasser at about 150°F. I can also do the first stage of a reverse sear in the gasser while I'm grilling veggies in the kettle. A typical cook would be put some sliced and oiled spuds on the kettle and fire the gasser at low. When the spuds are half done, add some asparagus and zucchini and put some lamb chops in the gasser to get them up to about 105°F. When the veggies are done, swap them into the gasser to keep hot and put those chops on the hottest part of the kettle. In a few minutes the lamb chops are done the way I like them and I shut everything down and slog through the snow to the house. (Covered Dutch ovens are great for the depths of winter. ;) )

Then there are times when I simply do not have time to wait for charcoal. I can get my gasser up to cooking temperature in a couple minutes.

Another use that you may share is cooking for an event. I cook for our club, usually doing about 5 dozen each brats and burgers for our fall picnic over a period of about 4 hours. My two burner Genesis Silver A is perfect for this and a lot easier to manage than keeping a charcoal fire hot enough to grill for four hours. Ease of fire management allows me time to shmooze with other club members rather than fiddle with the fire.

It's a tool. If you don't see a use for it, you may be limiting your options.

There are a lot of reasons to have a gas grill and I won't sell my Silver C. I used to use it for last minute cooks, keeping things warm, finishing foiled briskets, etc. My wife used it because she doesn't know how to manage a charcoal fire. When it ran out of gas 2 years ago, I was going to refill it, but never go around to it.

My wife hasn't complained because she would rather have me do the cooking. The fact that I haven't refilled it tells me that I can manage without it. For last minute cooks, it takes about 15 minutes to get a fire going with my chimney. I've cooked for all day tennis mixers with just a couple of kettles and didn't have a problem. A gasser is a tool but I seem to do OK without it.

I don't think I'd buy another one, but since I already have one, I think I'll get a bottle of gas this week. The cover hasn't been off in 2 years so it will probably take some cleaning up, but maybe I'll cook some steaks this weekend with gas. Maybe resurrecting the gasser will get my wife to spend more time on the deck with me since it will let her participate. Who knows, maybe I'll use less than 400 lbs. of charcoal next year.

I'd keep it! Can never have too much outdoor cooking equipment. :-D
I use mine every so often... like you say with the burn bans going on here it's nice to have the option. :thumb:

Me I'd have some fun with it. Park it out at the end of the Drive way grab a cooler full of adult beverages of your choosing and sit on the front porch cleaning your shot gun see how many brazen garbage pickers ya got in the neighborhood:becky:

Back