Rapid response needed...

Yakfishingfool

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
OK the choices...

got two butts and a brisket. Get up at 4:30 and get them on the WSM or start it in the next hour or two and let it go over night. Have a remote temp, but the WSM will stay rock steady when at temp. Want to serve them tomorrow mid-late afternoon.dinner time. So sleep now and get up early, or start the fire tonight and get them on and sleep fairly soundly. But have them done early... Scott

PS, plent of coolers avaialbe for use as well as cooking 9 racks of ribs tomorrow too. S

Start 'em now. You're better off having to hold them for a while in the cooler than be waiting for them to come off a plateau. The WSM won't let you down. Get 'em in and get some sleep.

IMO, if you need to cook a bunch of ribs tomorrow and you have the coolers to hold the butts and brisket if they finish early, why not start them now and grab some sleep.

But thats me. I dont care for 4:30am wake ups!

If you're talking 4PM dinner time or so, I'd start before just before midnight and get a full night sleep... you can definitely hold em in a cooler...

obviously weight of the briskets and butts will decide how long it will be sitting for along with cooking temp, weather etc....

Also, less to deal with while getting the ribs on the pit in the late morning...

I agree with Vitamin Q. start em now and wake to the bark covered tasty cuts of meat that just beg to be enjoyed.

weights would help..

7 lb butts would be done around 10 hrs @ 250.

fire the WSM up at 11-11:15 to get it dialed in by 12..

cooler time is a beautiful thing... start them at midnight and go to bed.

a few hours in the cooler will them.. and you.. real happy, and u wont be to tired to eat.

goodnight. ! :)

What is this sleep you all keep mentioning-- fire up that BYC, man! Sip some bourbon, throw a stick on and take it easy......

Or load up the bullet and get some shut eye....

I'd start the the fire at 6 a.m., put the butts and brisket on about 7 a.m. - cooler the brisket about 11a.m. and the butts about 12 pm. That way they get several hours of happy time before 4. I'd start the ribs about 11 when the butts came out!

But then, I'm a heathen.

Experience has told me the butt's, running close to 9-10 pounds each, are a solid 10 hour cook. The brisket is around 7-8 pounds. Don't mind holding a cooler til time. No problem reheating pulled pork or brisket. was really looking to avoid the 4 am start. Scott

we'll smoke u said:
I would start them now. and hold when done

IMHO I believe what the senior Q folks are saying is exactly what I would do as well. Never ever seen a brisket done in 5 or 6 hours. None that I would care to sample at least. I would definately get your food on now. Foil and wrap well and cooler.

I would put them on now and foil and hold them for your event later. Besides you cant go wrong getting some sleep and getting up early refreashed and ready to go, main reason I purchased my Treager :-D

chad said:
I'd start the the fire at 6 a.m., put the butts and brisket on about 7 a.m. - cooler the brisket about 11a.m. and the butts about 12 pm. That way they get several hours of happy time before 4. I'd start the ribs about 11 when the butts came out!

But then, I'm a heathen.

???????

Well windy as hell all night, temp down to 40 degrees, but the wsm held at about 225 all night. the brisket is at 158 on the lower shelf and the two butts look good. Slept about 20 minutes :), no a few hours but the wind had me up often...more for the house than the smoker. Carry on...

Have you tried the Guru for the wsm? I can't really see a huge advantage to putting one on, my WSM holds a fairly decent temp if you leave the lid on LOL

Back