cheek meat?

Mo-Dave

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I was tripping down the meat section at Walmart after work last night about 1:00am and came across some beef cheek meat, as expected it was a product of Mexico and sat next to the tripe.

Actually I almost bought some but thought I would ask here for any comments that mite help me make a more informed desision befoe buying some or not. Anyone here tried it and can tell me about it?

It seams that from all the food showns I have watch cheek meat is concedered good eats in most cultures not specifically beef but it should fall into that catagory as well. It reminded me of a small flate with a bit more marbaling and I am guessing it should cook about the same.
Dave

It's great stewed / braised. They're often served this way as "tacos de cabeza" in my local So Cal taquerias. They'd also be good cubed and stewed in non Mexican recipes, too. Slow, moist heat is the way to cook these.

Kinda of doubt it would BBQ well because of its relatively small size. I think the exterior would dry out before the collagen inside breaks down enough to get tender.

Cheek meat is used a lot for Barbacoa. Barbacoa is usually the whole head of a cow, cooked overnight under ground. They started selling the cheek meat because of how difficult it was to get the whole head.

That's good stuff. They also call it cachete(cheek). It's a customary Saturday or Sunday morning meal for breakfast actually. But, I'd hit any time of the day. Basically, just season with salt and pepper, toss in some sliced onion, garlic cloves, bay leaf, a pinch or two of oregano and wrap in a few layers of foil and toss in the oven. Put it in a pan, it will leak. Probably will take a couple hours or so. Last time we made it, we made the whole head and that was years ago. Got alot harder to find whole heads after mad cow disease. They don't take a chance on selling them. I have seen this at Wal_Mart, just never thought of trying some out.
Serve with finely chopped onion and cilantro on a warm corn tortilla with a good, hot red salsa or pico de gallo. Good stuff. I'm getting hungry.

Back