How to cut a Picanha

Smoothsmoke

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I'd like to share with you all on how to cut a picanha from a whole top sirloin block. It is quite easy to do. The picanha is the rump cap also known as sirloin cap, NAMP184D.

Top view

Here you can see the picanha. It is the lower muscle with the fat cap on bottom.

Very easy to separate.

Follow your knife down the natural seam.

This is how it looks when you get to the end. Their is a thick layer of fat at the end. That is where you cut to separate the picanha from the rest of the block.

bottom view

Trim the thick layer of fat that separated the picanha.

Here is is cleaned up. Removed all the silver skin, fat etc.

Sliced against the grain about an inch and a quarter thick.

Ready for the skewers!!!

Oh, that is a a great tutorial, I look forward to your next one on the tri-tip :biggrin1:

That is the kind of post we need to see more of, maybe even add it to a Roadmap, how to find, cut, trim and prepare a cut of meat. BTW, you are far better than I am at getting off that silverskin.

I would add, you do not need to steak and skewer this cut, if you don't have the skewers, you can smoke or reverse sear, even Santa Maria grill this cut of meat and it is terrific.

Oh, that is a a great tutorial, I look forward to your next one on the tri-tip :biggrin1:

That is the kind of post we need to see more of, maybe even add it to a Roadmap, how to find, cut, trim and prepare a cut of meat. BTW, you are far better than I am at getting off that silverskin.

I would add, you do not need to steak and skewer this cut, if you don't have the skewers, you can smoke or reverse sear, even Santa Maria grill this cut of meat and it is terrific.

Yup, reverse sear, santa maria, that all works. Just dont take it past medium rare. :mrgreen:

Wow, that's a great price on a sirloin roast! We never get those at our local Costco.
Thanks for the tutorial.

Ask the meat clerk. Around here, both Sam's and Costco slice the whole top sirloin into steaks to sell. They are usually happy to weigh a whole one up to sell.

I have never seen them out in the case.

Great tutorial, I couldn't quite picture where this cut of meat came from. I have really been wanting to try picanha but am not having any luck. Now I just have to convince the wife to let me buy a whole top sirloin. Seems like a good price to me. :thumb:

Wow!

I always wondered where the Picanha came from (It's my favorite meat at a churrascaria).My mouth is watering already.

Great tutorial, I couldn't quite picture where this cut of meat came from. I have really been wanting to try picanha but am not having any luck. Now I just have to convince the wife to let me buy a whole top sirloin. Seems like a good price to me. :thumb:

That's why I did this man. My local butcher charges $8/lb for this cut. Fark that!!! Picanha is quite hard to pinpoint as their are tons of misinformation that gets regurgitated throughout the web. Rest assured, this is it!

Nice! How long and what temp do you cook these at ??? Gonna make me go to fogo this weekend.

Smoke, great tutorial!:clap:

^+100%. Thats a really great idea.

Looks like you started with 12.36 pounds. I'm guessing you wound up with 40% or about 5 pounds before you sliced into steaks. Am I close? Since tri tip is so hard to get here I'm thinking this would be a good alternative?

Nice! How long and what temp do you cook these at ??? Gonna make me go to fogo this weekend.

I'm going to do these on the kamado using a manual rotisiree (my hands), at about 375-400 until medium rare.

Looks like you started with 12.36 pounds. I'm guessing you wound up with 40% or about 5 pounds before you sliced into steaks. Am I close? Since tri tip is so hard to get here I'm thinking this would be a good alternative?

The picanha is about 2.5lbs only. I had somewhere between 2-3 lbs of waste. The rest was the center section of the sirloin butt.

It's a good alternative size wise, but different flavor from tri-tip. Both are great!

Back